Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brisbane to Alice Springs

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by alexjennings, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Hey ALL!

Well, I start my career in the Royal New Zealand Navy in January. I have a massive desire to take my bike(GS500f) to Alice Springs(and Ayers Rock). My mate who also has a 500F has said he's keen to tag along. which means if something does happen to go wrong we have two of the exact same bikes to borrow parts from.

Questions I have-
    Whats the best route from Brisbane? Is there any places we should be stopping between the Alice and BNE? How much of the trip will be on dirt roads-if any. any other tips from those who have completed the trip would be fantastic.

Cheers guys
  2. Do you want any dirt or all sealed? Either is possible.
    Do you want to take your time and go the scenic way or just straight there?

I lived a couple towns away from Charleville for a few years. You can go Roma-Longreach-Isa if you don't mind the open spaces, some like it and some don't. If you do go that way, the steak at the Club Hotel at Tambo was the best I've had and the town is small and safe. The kind of place you leave your keys in the ignition while you get the shopping. The council swimming pool there is free too.

Longreach used to have a cinema, might still do. I've been there cheering when more patrons arrived, hoping to get to the minimum number to screen the movie. The Stockman's Hall of Fame is good if you're into that sort of thing, costs a bit to get in though.

For some variety you could go to or from Charters Towers-Emerald-Rolleston-Roma-Bris. The sandstone between Rolleston-Injune makes for some nice scenery.

Try to avoid having to stay in mining towns unless you're taking a tent with you.

Don't ride at night, dusk, dawn if you can avoid it.

If a road train indicates on the open highway its probably telling you its safe to pass.
  3. How much time do you have? If you plan it right, it's about the same distance across NSW and up the guts, as it is through Queensland. Do it as a lap, them you don't have to ride back over the same roads. About the longest distance without fuel is Glendambo to Coober Pedy at about 260km
  4. I was going to give myself 2 weeks to do the trip! Hopefully we wont have to leave unsealed road! We had planned on camping in tents for the trip-safe to do so? Any places that we should NOT go?

Just to confirm that the majority of the trip is going to be long straight, hot, desert/country roads with few and far between?
  5. Two weeks doesn't allow for much. It can done, but you want to hope not much goes wrong. Via the most direct route through central Queensland to Mt Isa, then across the Barkley hwy to Tennant creek, then down through Alice Springs and our to Yulara is about 3500km each way. A 7000 km return trip. Allowing for one day at Uluru (Ayres rock) your going to be covering at least 550km each day. Not a big ask, but it does become tiring and doesn't leave much time for much more than riding, as camping means you'll need to be off he road before dark. I did 10,000km in 19 days with three rest days earlier in the year. I'll give my self more time on the next trip.

What your planning can be done, and there isn't much to worry about along the way, other than being cautious about sleeping on the side of the road in the middle of no where. Some of the "non-reflective" can be less friendly after dark.