Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brisbane Noob

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Schwalbe, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Hi all, I've been lurking around for a while now, mostly digesting everything in the new rider's forum- so a thanks to all those who've posted info/guides etc there.

Currently taking lessons at AMA Nerang, so should be getting my RE licence in the near future. :D

2. Hi there Schwalbe - welcome along.
  3. Welcome to Netrider! I got my licence through AMA as well - they were awesome! Hopefully see ya out and about on the road soon. :D
  4. Welcome aboard! What's your bike of choice?
  5. I'm rather partial to the RVF400, but they're a bit pricey and getting hard to find. (Anyone in bris/qld looking to sell?) I've been riding the VTR250 at AMA and love it- but I fear if I bought one I would be bored after a few months.

Sadly though, I need to save up some more $$ before I can go buying anything :(
  6. RVF400 is an import right? Have you looked at the CB400... Awesome bike.
  7. As far as I know they're all greys, and also getting pretty old... but they're also one of the more powerful LAMS bikes and sport an always-sexy single swingarm :D

Haven't ridden the CB yet and have heard nothing but praise for it- certainly on the list for a test-ride when the time comes.
  8. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that an RVF 400 is a LAMS bike. The VFR just might be, but the RVF is a real crotch rocket.
  9. Pretty sure it is.
  10. RVF is on the QLD LAMS list, VFR isn't. Quick glance at wikipedia tells me the VFR (supposedly...) has 59hp, and the RVF 53. As such I'm guessing that for the power-to-weight calculations an arbitrary rider weight is added?, since at 39kw the RVF needs a weight of 265kg to fit under the 150kw/t limit :-s
  11. #13 kneedragon, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Ok, thanks Schwalbe. I didn't know the power outputs. That's interesting. I've shared a racetrack with both. VFRs are basically a sporty road bike, and that's how they run. RVFs are a little race bike. They are seriously quick. On a 1000 V-twin sports tourer (Aprilia RST) I could run down a VFR on the straights and lose nothing to it through the bends, but a well ridden RVF would make enough on me through the corners that I couldn't pull it back on the straights. The difference in laptimes, around a twisty track, was something in the order of five seconds. Of course, the VFRs were invariably on road tyres, and the RVFs were invariably on slicks. This was at Darlington.

The car one gives you a pretty good view, but doesn't really tell you what the place was like to ride on. Bike footage from it is as rare as. That horrible little clip was the only one I could find. It does at least give you some idea what the place was like to ride. I think I was there the day that bike footage was shot.
    In fact, if you look at the car clip - at 1:43 it enters a right. (and several times again but I couldn't be arsed watching it through every lap) and mid way through that right was where my avatar pic was taken. Like the guy on the 250 Honda, I was a travelling marshal.