Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brisbane: A Crash Course for Motorcyclists, 4th or 5th August

Discussion in 'QLD' at netrider.net.au started by John_M, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Accident Scene Management Australia (ASMA) is running their "Crash Course for the Motorcyclist" for the first time in Queensland. Open to anyone, this one-day course will be run by 2 ASMA instructors and will train up to about 15 (max 20) participants per course. ASMA is a not-for-profit organisation. These 2 courses will be run at the Redlands Multi-Sports Club at Birkdale. Cost is $165 for the day.

ASMA presented at the Ulysses Club's Road Safety Forum during their Mildura AGM in March. Attendees were shown 2 demos on helmet removal:- a one-person and a two-person methods. These were performed by Phil Lemin and narrated by Vicki Roberts-Sanfelipo. Vicki developed a course in North America that is now the benchmark of Motorcycle Trauma training in the USA.

Here is the 1-person helmet removal demo, with permission to post the clip - Click on this photo to see the video clip:

Note: As this was a high definition clip, you can use the YouTube option ('cog' icon in bottom right corner) to "Change Quality" to various settings.

IMG_3418a.

Clearly there is a lot more to this first aid course than helmet removal, with a lot of skill involved that isn't apparent in the imagery. The course is a complete first aid course, tailored to motorcyclists and has an excellent reputation from previous participants.

From ASMA:
    Participants can claim this course against their income tax if they need a First Aid certification for their work. Of course you don't have to do the certification (involving a workbook and a test) if you simply want to attend, but it is he same cost either way.

To enrol for one of these courses, go to Welcome page then go to "Course Information" on the top line of the home page; Next click on "Queensland" on the right side. The Saturday is apparently already heavily booked, Sunday half full to date.

For more info, contact ASMA at contact@asma.org.au or ph 0428 951 535.

PS: I have no connection with ASMA except that as a Motorcycle Safety rep, I have a strong interest in this stuff and really believe such courses make a real difference (unlike much of the talk-fest stuff that occurs in road safety). So I am spreading the word. My wife and I have paid to attend the Sunday course.

2. I want to do this course, infact I posted it up in a seperate thread recently. I have a time issue though, if I can work it out I will be attending.

3. Saturday pretty well full, but still some slots available on the Sunday course.

4. Well I can report that our two separate sessions on "A Crash Course for the Motorcyclist", the first of these run in QLD, went really well with excellent feedback from participants. So much ground covered in the day!

Instructors Paul Riley (ex-Sydney) and Mike Chapman (ex-Harvey Bay region) are both paramedics with about 20 years experience each. They made the courses very interesting with real-life examples and fun. Most who attended also completed the First Aid Certification, but this course was very much focussed on first response to a motorcycling injury or trauma event.

I thoroughly recommend this training for all riders and their pillions. Here's a couple of pics from the courses:

Catherine and I performing helmet removal from Royce:
    NB: There is a huge amount to this training course generally. Helmet removal is simply one topic covered, and is only really for when the person is unconscious and/or not breathing, where their helmet is interfering with the ability to control breathing, as breathing takes priority.

ASMACrashCourse3a.

Some final testing of theory for the certification:

ASMACrashCourse2a.

Happy certified students:

ASMACrashCourse1a.

Thanks to ASMA for their excellent (not-for-profit) efforts in conducting these courses in Australia. I am sure that word-of-mouth will result in more of these being run across the country.

So next time you are out for a ride, imagine you are involved in something like the following, or come across it.... (I was leading on this ride years ago when our two 2-up tail-enders were hit head-on by two riders coming from the opposite direction across the double-white lines). Nice to know someone knows what to do in the first "Platinum" 10 minutes:

Malenyaccident3b.

5. I would love to have gone, but I had other stuff on. Such a shame. I have come across 3 motorbike accidents now, learning each time. I have been keeping an eye on this course for sometime now and do plan to do it in the future.

6. i want in too

7. Having also done this course it's something I can thoroughly recommend.

8. I'm keen to do the ASMA course some time too.

Having had a chat with a couple of the ASMA folk and having recently done a first aid cert, brought to my attention one of their controversial points. ASMA do not recommend commencing CPR on an injured rider, and for good reason too - CPR, or more specifically the chest compressions part, can further exacerbate injuries received. If you blindly follow DRSABCD, it drives you straight into chest compressions if the patient isn't ticking off all the boxes. If the patient is breathing, albeit abnormally, and they have a pulse, why start chest compressions?

I spoke to the organisation that I got my cert from and raised this issue. They said that DRSABCD had been trashed out several times over the years and that it reflects the best local and international informed opinion about conventional first aid.

I think motorcyclists need something slightly different from conventional wisdom.

Here's one of the many posters covering DRSABCD.
    DRSABCD-Poster-2012.