Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brighter headlight bulbs?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by cyrax, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Hey everyone, I found these here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36607&item=4530684854&rd=1

And... I dunno, they look like they could be nasty because they're cheap, but I'm not sure.. what is a good bulb to get that is brighter and whiter than the standard (in my GPX250, which takes H4 bulbs for low beam), and has anyone heard of those ones in the link? Think they're worth getting?

2. I'd be wary of the comment further down saying for "off-road" or "show car" use only. Sounds like they are more for show than general go.

3. Slightly off-topic, are most of the bulbs on the newer, larger bikes eg R1, Fireblades etc halogen or normal tungsten globes?

4. go into repco/bursons/autobarn etc and ask for some navara +50's they are the same wattage so they wont do any damage to the electricals and they are 'uv something' so that they wont destroy plastic light covers with nasty uv.

they use a different gas/filament combo to get a brighter whiter light, use napisan plus hahaha i crack myself up... imho they are the best ones to go for without going up in the wattage stakes.

oh and dont get globes like those, they are for rice rockets. basically standard globes with blue shit on the glass.

5. as raffiki said get the +50, +6- or if you can find them the +70 they will pose far less of a damage threat than most of the other higher wattage and power globes. I have been running the +60 now in the bike and cars for several years and love them.

6. Philips HID globes.......I think they are Philips VisionPlus H7 globes.

I read a full review of Globes for bikes in a UK mag called RiDE last year (RiDE Issue 106 (on sale 29/1/2004 to 24/2/2004) pages 52 - 57, 37 Bulbs were tested in two categories, H4 Bulbs and H7 Bulbs).......(think I've still got the scan I made of it)....based on that I decided to get Philips VisionPlus globes to replace my current set. Wonder around for ages looking for them, eventually found them and made my purchase. Went home to install them to discover the ones in there were identical....looks like I've already got VisionPlus globes in there!!!!!

Heres some good reading for you.

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=175

I couldn't find a RiDE website, the best I can do is the RiDE mag subscription page

Damn fine mag with heaps of reviews of accessories. Very worthwhile. Just a little on the expensive side though.

7. Thanks for the replies people, so I'm getting that those bulbs are just whiter than the standard because of the blue tint and not actually brighter? If so then i guess it's not worth the trouble.

8. Have a look here for some more discussion on lights.

:D :D :D