Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bright Accomodation and Competition

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by mjt57, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Every year I organise a weekend ride to Bright (NE Vic). It usually occurs around the last weekend of April, sometimes on Anzac Day weekend.

Anyway, today I call the Alpine Hotel to book accommodation for ten blokes. Sorry, all booked out, but you can call our affiliate hotel, the Star. So I do. They have rooms but they require a min. two night booking. Eh? Since when?

Apparently the two hotels, which are owned by the same people, have decided to implement a 2 night booking policy for peak event times, such as Anzac Day weekend, the "Gala" weekend when I tried to book, when greenies infest the joint to watch the leaves fall off trees (I'll bet they don't hang around to help clean them out of gutters, etc..).

They spun a line about doing extra sheets, etc. but that's crap. That has to happen regardless. It's about maximising accommodation revenues.

I've been booking weekends at Bright since 1999, and always around the same time. And we've never had to have a 2 night booking. Obviously some bean counter, or the guy who owns the pubs, has decided that this is a good way to get some more dough out of the tourism trade.

Am I annoyed? Yes. What am I gonna do about it? Probably nothing, unless we can perhaps organise a boycott of the place. But who would be interested in doing this? Probably no-one. We can't even agree on action when more serious issues are presented to us.

Looks like I'll have to either abandon this ride weekend - first time in 15 years too, or look for somewhere else to go for a ride to.

2. It's like that in all kinds of places nowadays. Anywhere that is popular enough to fill up on a long weekend will have this policy now, to prevent their being left with an empty room for a night when they know there is enough demand to fill it.
    You're only chance is to go where no-one else would want to go!

3. yep hate bright for that reason :)

4. Rode over there on Sunday for a leisurely Sunday cruise, beautiful sunny day, sitting there having coffee, bite to eat & this wet stuff from the sky appeared.

Got soaked to the bone from Bright to Myrtleford, then blue sunny skies again. Not complaing, 1st wet ride for the year & in god knows how long really.

As for being booked out. Think the Autumn Festival also on round this time from memory.

5. Yes. that's correct. However, This is the first year ever that they've required a minimum of two nights.

I'm somewhat disappointed but hey, what can you do, other than to book during the really low peak times?

6. Have you tried other providers in town, like the motels, or perhaps the surrounding townships?

7. It's called business. As it has been said above, nil occupancy = $0. Most holiday destinations have this policy. As long as they don't cancell your booking that's fine. If it was my motel/camping ground that would be my policy.

8. What's the place like (Bright)? What's there to do there? :?:

9. ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads, ride twisty roads oh yeah and there a few good pubs to drink at too, when you get tired :LOL: :wink:

10. Well, one actually.

Star Hotel and Alpine are the only two pubs in town. And while the meals and accommodation are much of a muchness, the Alpine is what has had the most work done to it in recent times. And it's the only one to have live entertainment. Plus the Alpine, when we were last there, was the only one to have breakfast in the morning. But you can eat at other establishments if they're open.

If we can't stay at the Alpine we stay at the Star and drink, eat and be merry at the Alpine. Or we may dine at the Choinese which puts on a good meal, too, then back to the Alpine for further being merry...

11. Looked at a couple. But ended up deciding to go to Mount Beauty. Haven't been there before, so it'll make a nice change.

12. I'm missing something ... where's the 'competition' part of the post?

13. How then would you cater for the riding community which often only have overnight stopovers? Or do we simply miss out?

But then it appears that this policy is working, given that the Alpine's fully booked, and presumably all of them two night stopovers.

14. Planned a similar riding weekend for ANZAC day.
    Went to Wotif.com.au, booked a single night at cooma for the 25th, and bairnsdale for the 26th.
    This way, I can ride up the monaro to cooma friday, up and across and up the alpine road, stay o/n at Barimsdale, then back the Alpine road to Benalla and home on Sunday.

Using Cooma and Bairnsdale as hubs, lets me ride all over the place.!

Three days of twisty!

15. Brights nice, used to go there a few times a year with the family. There is a lot of accomodation there, did you try the Ovens Valley Motor Inn?

Mt. Beauty is real nice too.

16. Both pubs are owned by the same guy. Hence, both of them implementing this two night minimum policy which until this year has never been the case.

Now, if the each pub was owned by different owners, perhaps we might have seen some more competition. For example, only one pub has live entertainment. Only one of them has breakfasts in the morning, only one of them has pokies, etc..

Still, either place is OK to stay at. We stay at either Alpine or Star and eat eat drink and be merry at the Alpine. Or we used to...

17. It’s not so much as catering to the riding community, it’s filling the establishments with paying customers. I think you will find that it applies to everyone. Empty rooms won’t pay the bills. Whether it is a large establishment or a small motel the almighty dollar still rules. :cry: