Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bridgestone BT002 vs Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by cejay, Dec 26, 2007.

1. I've been a fan of Michelin Pilot Powers for some years. They worked on my 1000rr and my Aprilia Tuono. After the Tassie tour I needed to replace the original PP's and did so with the new PP 2CT's. Immediately I noticed a change in performance. I've always known of and been aware of new tyre slipperyness, but it has never really bothered me. The 2CT's were the worst I'd experienced, to the point where I nearly crashed leaving my driveway!!

Initial concerns overcome I ran the tyres for some time.

The grip of the 2CT's was beyond doubt. In corner, the tyre never slipped or caused any cause for concern. However, the initial turn in was different to what I'd known before. The feeling was one of vagueness, with no positive feedback from the front end at all. Basically, the transition from the upright to the lean did not inspire confidence, however, once in the turn the bike was perfect.

The 2CT's run a softer edge than the standard PP with a standard PP centre. I believe it was this transition that I was having problems with.

After about 10,000kms (no problems with longevity) the front was fairly rooted. Time for a new tyre. Not wanting to mix and match, I ditched the partially worn rear as well (2 rears to one front).

I've been using Bridgestone's on the SV, BT002 Race compound front and BT090 Pro rear. I've been really happy with the BT002 front and quite happy with the rear. I've avoided Bridgestones for some years but decided to give them a go for the Tuono.

First off, there are two types of BT002. You can use the Pro or the Street. The Pro is a race tyre and not recommended for street use. They have a long warm up time and a narrow temperature range. Grip is exceptional but with poor life. Both types are available in common sizes, however only the pro is available as 190/55 which was my rear of choice. I settled on the 180/55 to see if this improves the turn in. Front is a 120/70.

Tyres fitted, first up was a brief ride to make sure all nuts and bolts are ok. The tyres are very slippery after fitting and I could feel them move under me. Be careful!

Today was the proper bed in ride. I spent about 70kms taking time to work the edges, get heat into them and 'feel' them in. The edges are still slippery, but judicious throttle and careful turn in expand the envelope all the time.

The next 200km's were spent learning the tyres and the different turn in rate with the 180/55 rear.

The tyres are confidence inspiring. The transition from straight ahead to lean is seamless and very quick. Mid corner grip is very very good. Getting the bike from lean to upright is very easy and noticeably easier than with the PP 2CT's. The bike is stable but easy to turn.

Downsides. The BT002 are road legal, but have very few water dispersing grooves on the outer edge of the tyre. The sea/land ratio is very much in favour of land! The grooves that are there are sufficient for sedate wet weather riding, but an all weather tyre it is not.

Wear. These tyres will not last long. I can already see that they wear in a far more agressive manner than the 2CT's. Whether this is important to you depends on your budget and riding style.

Profile. The 190/55 would be the better profile, but not idea in a race compound. I am going to the NSW Alps in a week and can't guarantee the weather. If I was riding locally and purely for fun I'd take the risk and go for the race compound and make sure the tyres are hot before I do anything aggressive. As I can't, I won't. Maybe next time!

Tyres are a very subjective item. These are my opinions and I know lots of people who swear by the 2CT's. I also know riders who can't handle Pirelli Super Corsa's and others who think they're fantastic. But if you're looking for a change and are happy to take a punt, go for the 002's.
  2. I'm currently running on a pair of 002s, both pre-shagged by racers. Yes they tear up when riding hard, and I don't expect a lot of Ks from them, but they stick like bubblegum, soft and smooth and I'm convinced they actually help soak up bumps in the road... The front in particular just feels so composed. And I enjoy the profile shape, both on the 9R and on my old Hornet. They tip in nice, hold a line without being dogmatic about it, and generally feel like the bike's doing what it oughtta.

This is the second pair of 002s I've run, and both times I've been very impressed. They might even overtake Supercorsas as my fave hoop.
  3. Pirelli Supercorsas are fine. If primarily street use, just make sure to get the street-going compound (i.e. must NOT have the SC[0123] designation). If you get the SC# compound versions, and you ride hard, throw them out after 6 rides or risk crashing. The Supercorsa SC# tyres are track tyres.

I've never liked the Michelin Pilot tyres on any bike I've personally owned. I didn't mind them on the demo ZX6R that I rode though. Tyres are both a personal and bike subjective combination.
  4. Which is what makes it such a pain in the #ss to find the best ones that suit both you and your bike. :evil:
  5. The only difference I noticed between the standard PP's and the PP 2CT's was the price. Why pay extra for the 2CT's? I think that the PP's reputation is better than it deserves. When they let go they give you no notice and just break free. :eek: which is why I gave up on them and went for 015’s.
  6. You mean Bridgestone BT015's? If they're anything like the 014's, I think they suck.
  7. The 015's aren't that different from the 014's. Why don't you like them?
  8. Take ages to warm uup and give a very 'skatey' feel on the gixxer I reckon. But hey, tyres suit different people and different bikes as a package, mine just don't suit my package.
  9. Just found out that Bridgestone are to release the 016. The highlight of the hype seems to be:

The BT-016 front tyre has a new 3-Layer Compound (3LC): a center compound for linear handling and longer wear life, flanked by a shoulder compound to secure high grip and a strong contact feeling.

The rear BT-016 tyre features Bridgestone’s new 5-Layer Compound (5LC) technology, used for the first time on a street tyre. The center compound gives good stability and higher mileage; the shoulder compound transfers the engine power to the road with strong traction; while the edge compound provides strong side grip and a massive contact feeling at deep lean angles. The line holding feels almost like riding on a rail.
  10. I'll be interested to hear if anyone tries these and what they think.
  11. By dint of the 9R coming with Pilots as standard, I've stuck with Michelin and have been fairly happy - but I guess I haven't really pushed them like other guys have... having said that though, those 016's sound like the ducks guts... :cool:

Good write up CJ. Thanks for sharing.

I currently have a pilot power front and pilot road 2CT rear. The combination works but has a tendency to run wide if you're not on the game... I think there's a slight profile difference... anyway, I'll watch you guys with other tyre experiences with interest...

12. And now for something completely different!

I have most of my fun on my heavily modded 2003 Yamaha FZ1 which now pushes out 162 HP on the dyno and playing with tyres is an old hobby of mine.

My front is a PP2CT and a finer front tyre I have yet to find, I have yet to find its limit in the wet or dry. My rear is a PP and I DON'T like it one little bit. I agree they let go (albeit when pushed hard) with no warning at all and are hard to drift with any control at all.

I am going to run PP2CTs on the front and the old Pilot Roads on the rear which I loved, not the grip of the PPs but a much more predictable tyre which I can drift with gay abandon, which as an old bugger and dirt bike rider I love to do. I am also happier with the profile of the roads which never had chicken strips on them whereas the PPs I don't push to their limit for fear of losing the rear unexpectedly.
  13. 1500km thoughts.....

These tyres won't last as long as my PP's!

I will definitely need to go to a 190, either 50 or 55 profile as I can feel the tyre running to the edge on sharp corners.

I have just come back from Thredbo with Scumbag and he got to follow me on the 75 trip from Khancoban to Dead Horse Gap. At the end he says I was leaving dark lines into and out of the corners. The Tuono has a slipper clutch and it's fun to just dump the clutch on the downshift and let the slipper do the bulk of the work but it does mean you're not taking the same care as you would without it. As for the exit, the Tuono has lots of useable power off idle and the throttle loves being pinned!

The progression from straight ahead to lean is still seamless and much better than the old PP's I had. Grip is very very good, though whether it is better than the PP's is debatable. However the feel is much improved and the only thing I might change is the rear size. I picked the Streets as I knew I was touring and unable to predict the weather. Next time I might experiment with the /55 in a race compound, but paying special attention to warm up and heat cycles. Or just go the 190/50 and see how that feels. One thing for sure, I don't think I'll have to wait too long to change
  14. I've experienced that feeling a few times on a couple of different bikes. I don't like it, the bike settles into the turn and sits on a line and holds it - which means you have to really give it a shove to get it to change line. Much better to have a feeling that you can control your line effortlessly mid-corner.
  15. Good point Loz. I was doing some bolte runs last night (what awesome riding weather) and was cranked over on the outbound on ramp, when I caught some traffic and either had to change lanes or slow down... I was able to change line happily while cranked. The 9R is a couch compared to current bikes, but it's certainly capable. :)

I'm a fan. No apologies.

I am veeerrry interested in the 016's though...

Cejay, Welcome back! Is there a ride report brewing???????
  16. Not from me, after Xmas I need to get back into work and earn my cash! However, there might be some interesting outcomes from this trip....
  17. :-k now I'm intrigued!