Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Breed the stupid outta 'em

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Not4Resale, Nov 6, 2009.

1. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26280864-401,00.html

Looks like a mayor in New Zealand has a plan for stopping child abuse in his town. For some reason this makes me think of selective breeding of dogs and cattle.

I wonder if it could work... Probably not, but the concept had me in stiches. I think someone mentioned Gataca today? :rofl:

2. When you make the case that not all people should have been born and raised to the point where they can act for themselves and speak to other people; you must first justify your own entitlement to existence.

Where is this guy's essay on "Why it's right for me to be alive today, but we should stop some povo people having kids." ?
    I'd like to hear how f***ing magnificent he is.

3. He's not the most popular character it would seem.

Although under certain circumstances it can certainly be argued that kids are a bad idea.

I.e. a couple who are both heavily addicted to ice have unprotected sex and conceive a child. Of course no one can deny the child its right to exist but under those circumstances I would think that contraception might have been the more feasible option. I'm sure the unborn spermicles won't mind too much that mummy and daddy opted for condom usage.

On the other hand however, I am a proud uncle thanks to two idiots colliding and despite how much of a douche the baby's dad is and how silly her mother is, the little creature is just too adorable to wish out of existence. Although when asked for my opinion on whether my sister should have gone through with the birth when she initially found out she was preggers I have to admit based on her situation I advised against it.

Methinks it ain't all black and white... :-s

4. 'Course it's simplistic, and won't work. But there is a kernel of truth in the notion that we currently encourage some people to breed for the sole purpose of attaining more welfare. If there were a fair and effective remedy for that, I'd like to hear it.

At least he's not proposing what the USA actually did in the 1930s... involuntarily sterilise poor people by abducting them and dragging them into 'clinics' (little remembered nowadays, but true).

5. Link sterilization to long term welfare payments

6. If the idea took hold, NZ would suffer a serious population decline.

High IQ, upwardly mobile, good socioeconomic career minded folk are having less kids and having them later in life.

Low IQ, poor socioeconomic folk are breeding like rabbits - coz they can - which also has the downside of trapping new generations into the same cycles and dependence on welfare. If they're paid not to breed and it sticks... NZ's population will decline.

7. Just think of the long term results though:

The Herald-Sun's readership would decline.
    There'd be a glut of unemploeyd actors after Neighbours, Home and Away etc went off the air for lack of viewers.
    Melbourne would be without taxi drivers.
    Collingwood Football Club would disband because of a lack of support. :p

8. ...I was with ya till the Collingwood thing... LOL

9. Isn't stemming population growth something we should be aiming for?

Can't remember exactly, but the forecast for 50 years from now is Melb and Sydney 7 million each?

Here it is: http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/3222.0

Don't know about anyone else, but I don't like a lot of things about the number of people in Sydney now, let alone with twice as many. Real Estate prices, employment, congestion, etc etc etc...

Maybe I'll just move to Tassie (only state population projected not to explode)

Not supporting or condoning the quasi-eugenics of this crack-pot, btw.

10. and Harley Davidson sales would decline.

11. Everyone who has posted in this thread, and hasn't seen the movie 'Idiocracy', seriously needs to. It's funny az, bru (it's not Kiwi, I'm just riffing on the OP)... It's basically *about* the gap in fecundity between the bright and the less-so in our society and the long-term consequences of that.

12. +1

That movie was awesome! Its also the reason why smart people must have more sex! Even if we have to get out the damned cattle prods to get them to do it, we need to get our geniuses laid!

Its for the greater good! :rofl:

13. New Zealand's population has been in decline for decades; most of them are over here :roll: :LOL:.

14. Without a good supply of poor uneducated people, the rich cant stay rich exploiting them.

15. Thereby raising the IQ of both countries - according to Robert Muldoon.

16. ...and they all seem to be showing up on Melbourne's Highway Patrol program. Choice Bro.

17. Mt Druitt would become the richest suburb overnight.