Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

breaking the news to your parents

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jaeyon, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ok so im sure there are many of you out there who are still living at home, whose parents are less than happy at the thought of their child riding.

how did you break the news to your parents? my plan is to bring it home and absorb all the insults my parents can think of, hoping they dont push the bike over and destroy it lol. (yes i am asian, see angry asian parents on youtube).
  2. Hell Dude I am living on my own in my own house--- when my mother visited and saw my bike she freaked

not because of fear of an accident etc but rather fear of me getting rheumatism in my knees from riding a bike in the cold weather --- effnik parents go figure - loose a leg or arm its okay .

I wouldn't like to be in your shoes -- asian parents all know kung -fu they are gonna kick your ass bruce lee style

okay okay I know its stereotypical racial profiling but I say it with all respect only in humor so my apologies if it offends.
  3. I think we should make this thread a sticky.
  4. Mine had no qualms with me getting my licence. There was a few months after that when I couldn't afford a bike and they probably thought I didn't want one anymore. Then I went out and bought a helmet one day and they sort of got around the idea.

Helped me buy a bike and forked out for the rest of my gear. Then made a ridiculous set of rules for when I could/couldn't use it. Though to be fair my dad was probably only heaps keen on this because he wanted a bike years ago and mum said no.
  5. I'm sort of half way through it...

Dad has ridden for years and brought me my first trail bike (for off road use only) so had to expect it was going to come eventually.

They know I now have my licence, they know I ride a mates on occasion (and hate it) but I am not sure how buying a bike is going to go...

I'll update this when the day comes, if I survive.
  6. lol none taken. hmm seems like im in for a treat! with my last bike i used to keep it at my friends house but decided against that this time around. better to face the music than to give the parents the run around me thinks.

any tips on where i should block? lol
  7. Just make sure you are geared up and leave the helmet on when you tell them :D
  8. ATGATT applies to every aspect of riding....
  9. I started thinking about riding when I was ~16 and I didnt get my L's until I was 21. Among many problems parents was one of the aspects that stopped me. I realised one day - stuff it, it's my life and I will do with it what I want.

I was polite but firm with my decision and the 'rents finally came around to it. Mainly ride track these days so I think they are happier with that (controlled conditions). I think once they realised I wasn't going to be a drop kick squid on one they were ok with it.

Most people tend to freak when you say you want to ride, basically along the lines of, "If you ride you will die a horrible painful death in the first 5 mins of swinging a leg over." It's not true, yes the statistics say there are a lot of motorcycle accidents. But you have to ask why, when you put young blokes on a fast machine egos get involved.

End of the day as long as its your money and you minimise your risk its not their decision to make.
  10. Presenting a fait accompli worked for me. Then again, I wasn't living at home at the time.
  11. Can't run from them forever. They can go ballistic or abuse you or whatever, but it is your money and it's your life.
    Probably should've tried to sit them down and talked to them about it before buying the bike/bringing it home.

Surprisingly, when I told my parents I was going for the Pre learners course, they were alright with it. When I was in the market to buy a bike, they were kinda all for it...then against it...then supportive.

At first, I thought of doing the same thing you were gonna do (i.e. bring it home and take the abuse) but then again, I thought...I'm too old for this stuff.
  12. I think if you just went out and did, that pisses them off more than actually getting a bike. Some reason parents like to stay informed.
  13. Mum saw her cousin killed outside her house on a trailbike as a kid. They sat around and watched his mother crying as he bled to death literally opposite a hospital. Dad raced Bultaco's in the 70's with no success at all.

Mentioned to mum I wanted a bike and she said I'd never have one in her house. I bought it that afternoon and parked it in the garage. Dad cracked it and didn't speak to me for two days, mum for longer. It was good to get some peace and quiet.

A week later I get home and could hear the bike cooling down in the garage. I hadn't been riding it... I go inside and dad's taking a mud covered shirt off. He snuck the bike out and went flat tracking around the local cricket pitch.

Mum ended up being more worried about my handicapped sister as she bought a ZX10.

Long story short - they'll find other stuff to get more pissed at you about than riding bikes. Pull heaps of cones, punch a police officer, drop out of, or into, uni. **** a dude. Something will happen that they'll be more pissed at. If you can't deal with it, the time has come to move out from under their roof.
  14. I just said, 'Mum, I'm gonna get a bike'

She wasn't so happy with the idea but I had the cash and told her I was doing it. I showed them that I was serious about it though, that I wasn't going to jump into it without getting all the gear and practicing. That I understood the risks involved etc etc.

Best thing to do (for me anyway) was plant the seed early so they have time to get used to the idea :p
  15. I hated my parents when I had those "I want a motorbike" discussions. Mainly because they told me they would go halves in buying a car for me but wouldn't pay $1 towards my motorbike.

Offering to pay half of my transport costs if it had 4 wheels and then opting out of contributing anything at all when i decided on buying the 2 wheel option... :censored:
  16. Doing it slowly worked ok for me...

Told them I was going for my learners. Then constantly talking about bikes and safety gear to them just to prepare them for the inevitable.

Talked about the bikes I liked and why... talked about training courses.

Told them the day before I bought the bike that I was gonna get one. And that I had thought about it seriously for a number of months and just a impulse decision.

In hindsight if I just bought a bike home without mentally preparing them I would have not enjoyed it one little bit.

It also depends on how old you are too. I would not have been able to trust myself on a bike under the age of 25... I think after a while you calm down and be better mentally prepared to ride at an older age.
  17. Lol your parents probably thought it'd be a great way to bribe you to stray away from bikes.

While it's all good to fight for something you're passionate about, you also have to show your maturity. As long as you know the risks and you show them you know what you're doing, they'll eventually get over the whole thing and life moves on....to another topic which they'll nag you to death about ](*,)
  18. lol ive brought it up a few times with them. they always bring in the "what about us" point of view where they say im not considering how me riding makes them feel
  19. This is easy:

1. "Mum, Dad... this is my lover, Steve..."
    2. Let them freak out for a few minutes.
    3. "Actually, I'm not gay. Steve's not my lover, he's my mechanic. He's just here to deliver my motorcycle."

(Not that there's anything wrong with that, but...) your traditional Asian parents will be so relieved that the bike thing will seem so much less important.
  20. I was 16 and some months, my parents were all supportive of me, and helped me look for a bike. I went and bought all the gear, organised my Ls course, and on the day i went to pick up a bike my mum flipped out and went nuts. After having been supportive the whole time...... i disowned her a few weeks later. Now im 26, living in my own pad, and i couldnt care less what they think :p.