Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Breaking in period revs (GPX250)

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by helent, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Just treated myself to a new GPX250 and looking forward to having some fun on it. However, my husband rode it home from the dealers for me last night while I drove the car....

I kept wondering why he was sticking to somewhat less than 80kph, and hoped this wasn't the bike's top speed!!

Anyway, as it turns out, the bike was doing about 7000 rpm at that speed. But apparently, we are supposed to stick to 4000rpm for the first 800km and 6000rpm for the next 800km :( Hubby said that 4000rpm was equating to about 60kph. How am I going to stick to 60 kph for the next 650km? Is this definite, do I really have to stick to this? The dealer did say 4000rpm was recommended but he indicated we could take it higher as long as it was done smoothly.

Any advice?
  2. It should be able to take short (I dunno, for 1/2 a minute or so) higher trips into the rev range, but you will get better service from the engine if you follow what you have mentioned. Do a few trips around your local area, don't keep it at any one speed for too long and before you know it it'll have enough kays up for full use. Do they really do 7000 rpm at 80 kays in top gear?
  3. About that yeah! I have a ZZR250 (same engine) and when i rode down to melbourne it rarely went below 8K...It mostly stayed around 8250-8500rpm Thw whole way down.
  4. Oh okay then. I've been on twins for too long :)
  5. The whole break in thing is an old wives tale. Just ride it like you would any bike. Not keeping the revs at any one spot for long and change the oil at 100km, 600km and 1000km. Then just follow normal service routine.
  6. Does your advice come with a manufacturer's warranty and can I get that in writing? :grin:
  7. And assuming I am supposed to stick to 'what's in the book' how do I know if the bike hasn't already been damaged doing 7000 rpm most of the way home (it was a 100 and 110kph road most of the way and busy truck and road train route, so a bit dangerous to stick to 60kph).
  8. I've discussed this issue many times with riders much more experienced than I and they all conclude the above advice. Bikes are built with such amazing precision these days that you can basically roll them out of the crate and flog the guts out of them.
    Race teams do exactly that.
  9. Spot on N1GH7. I use this exact technique every time I do a rebuild on my 2 stroke motocross bike.
  10. Q: What is the most common cause of engine problems ???
    A: Failure to:
    Warm the engine up completely before running it hard !!!

Q: What is the second most common cause of engine problems ???
    A: An easy break in !!!

Q: What's the third most common cause of engine problems ???
    A: Not changing the oil soon enough after the engine is first run !!
  11. Wow, looks like a great read, thanks for that. I have printed it out and will read tonight when I get home (I am supposed to be working right now). After reading a few lines, I am now worried that we have damaged the bike by NOT disregarding the manufacturer's instructions!! AAAARRGGHHHH!!
  12. Damage is highly unlikely helent. If anything you may have just reduced the power output by fractions of a horsepower.
  13. ah, good, OK then. A slight loss in power will probably not mean all that much to me, with me being a girl and everything :wink:
  14. '

how credible is that source? would you guys use this for your new bikes or would you stay with the book?

its just that I'm breaking in my gpx atm and dont know weather to stay with the book or go for that advice
  15. there's more than just the engine involved in the break in period. main thing is to vary the revs. I keep closish to what the manufacturer recommends. its only 800k in the hopefully long life of your bike. do 30k every night around the suburbs and a few longer runs and you're there.
  16. My current bike was run in with the 'ride it like you stole it' method.
  17. The GPX hasn't had a design change for a VERY long time, so don't assume its a modern bike just because you got it recently.

Break it in gently, newer cars and bikes need varied revs but this isn't the case for older machines.

when they build the engine components they are CLOSE to the designers blueprints but not spot on, so they use piston rings and bearings that are close to a perfect fit but still have a fair amount of friction on them,(when you have your car engine "Blueprinted" it means machining parts to size to match the designers blueprint) so when you get a new engine you should let the revs climb slowly and not too high to allow rings and bushing/shims or whatever to wear down to the size of the components moving past them..

If you dont run it in properly the friction can have bad effects on things, like heating up surfaces that would never get that hot which decreases the life of the engine, bend or misshape things, put a lot extra metal shavings through the engine which could get blocked in oil galleries or cause excessive wear on engine parts....

just my 2c, don't have to listen if you don't want..
  18. Gosh, this an old post that has been resurrected - I read the first 6 posts before I realised that I was the original poster!

My bike has now done about 6500kms and seems to be going OK, no problems whatsoever. I ended up just riding at whatever revs were needed without being harsh or redlining (lol - as if I would ever do that with a bike anyway, I'm such a girl!). Anyway, the roads I was having to ride on were far too dangerous to stick to the recommended revs - I lived up the Great Northern Highway (speed limit 90 - 100km/hr) with LOTS of trucks. Going at 60km/hr was NOT an option.
  19. Please don't break in an engine you want to last for a long time with that ridiculous race engine break in link posted earlier.
    It is one thing to break in a race engine or two stroke that way, but don't do it on a road bike. Read teh Owner's manual and stick to it. They built the bike, tested many of them before releasing them, they know just a bit about that particular engine.
    I love how people say the race engine break in is great, but they sell teh bike at 25k kms, so how would they know?

Regards, Andrew.