Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Breaking in new engines a myth?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by PedroDiniz, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Hi There,

I am a dummy with all things mechanical and was wondering if someone with a bit more knowledge could check out this site...

wwwdotmototuneusadotcom/break_in_secretsdothtm (sorry i can't post links yet, replace 'dot' with '.')

I got a bit lost in the mechanical terms but it basically says that running in engines is BS. Translation would be good and does the evidence provided on the site seem credible?

2. they probably do a run in test before they put the engine in the bike/car anyway. I know some car manufacturers say it isnt necessary. I dont think its anything to worry about. Giving it a bit here and there wont hurt it but if your consistantly thrashing any engine something is bound to give way.
  3. It's true that most modern engines don't require much running in, but most do say to 'take it easy' for about the first 500-1500 k's depending on the engine, and then change the oil. This gets rid of the metal particles shed while 'bedding in', but after that I don't reckon modern engines usually need any more.
  4. Thanks for replies, sorry, somehow i missed the other thread already posted

Again i can't post links until i hit 5 posts! but here is the thread where this has been covered previously if anyone else was interesed...

'dot' = '.'
  5. That site doesn't actually say breaking in isn't necessary, just a different, accelerated way of doing it.
    At the end of the day you don't have to do anything special, don't rev the ring out of it, don't ride like a grandma and don't sit on on one rpm for ages (ie highway). Otherwise just ride it normally and change the oil at 1000kms to get rid of the metal and junk.
  6. I tend to agree with the philosophy of just running an engine normally. Just don't overload it or thrash the bags out of it, is all.

When, in another life I was a motor mechanic, there wasn't any real issues about running new Holdens or Fords in. Just don't labor it, don't spend too much time at constant speeds/revs. etc. The engines back then usually had a n OEM sourced oil allegedly designed for "running in", and with a different oil filter that was changed at 1,500km if I remember correctly.

With respect to piston rings bedding in, for example, it's only a problem with diesels, particularly the bigger buggers that run 2 megawatt generators and so on. After all, if it can't do its rated work from the get-go, then what's the point of it. Same with the likes of D9 dozers - a huge imposte on a business if it can't be put to work straight away - those types of engines are designed to run flat out from scratch, otherwise they DO glaze bores, etc., a problem that we've experienced at work.

With a typical petrol engine, it's not as critical as the ring bedding in process usually happens within the first half hour of running, anyway.

Like new tyres, I just ride the thing from new as if it was already a used unit. Ride it to its limits and ride it sensibly.
  7. MJT, that is spot on. Very well explained. You should ask for that to be a sticky here.. :cool: