Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Breaking in engines

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by lil, Mar 10, 2005.

1.  Top
  2. I've never run in a new bike engine (but will be soon, hopefully), but there's a good article in this months Two Wheels mag about this. The author pins down a techo from Castrol I think and gets the low down on what happens inside a new engine, and what effect the riders run-in technique has at each stage. The gist of it was a modern engine is mostly run in at about 800 k's, but it takes about 8000 k's for the internal surfaces to fully stabilise. Was a good read.

3. I didn’t think that in this day and age of metalurgy & engineering, you can just fang a engine from the outset – after you warm it up obviously. Maybe you can putter around over the first 400kms, change the oil & fang from there.

I understand that at the factory (like Honda & Kawasaki), new bikes off the production line are fired up & banged through each gear to redline as part of quality control (and that’s with ‘shipping oil’ in there).

Rev limiters have been placed there by the manufacturer for a reason.
    My 2c.

4. I meant if anyone had any comments on the article itself and whether they thought there is some merit to what this guy i saying.

:D :D :D

5. I say, thrash the bugger to death from new....except if you ride someting with an 'older' engine design.

6. this is one of those issues where there is no clear common sense answer...

I am wondering who to believe myself (I don't pretend to be a mechanic or physict so I can tell you what RPM generates the optimum this or that)

Credentials come into question maybe? The mototune mechanic has apparently tested the technique and found it to be a good one.

On the other hand, a dealer has heaps of incentive to make you want to buy a new bike cause it performs crap (conspiracy!). Then again, they would not want you visiting for warranty claims either, so their run-in procedure is probably safe, but at the expense of performance.

When it comes down to it, the mototune article makes a good case though - two identical bikes run in using the thrash method and the factory method - the thrash method cylinder looked a treat, the factory on looked ready for the bin.

7. Black backgrounds suck. Too much text colouring, over use of centering is shocking, and the guy at the top looks like a real estate agent! :D :p

8. From the article...
    Q: What's the third most common cause of engine problems ???
    A: Not changing the oil soon enough after the engine is first run !!

Change Your Oil Right Away !!
    The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil and filter after the first 20 miles. Most of the wearing in process happens immediately, creating a lot of metal in the oil. Plus, the amount of leftover machining chips and other crud left behind in the manufacturing process is simply amazing !! You want to flush that stuff out before it gets recycled and embedded in the transmission gears, and oil pump etc...

9. Fantastic Mouth :LOL:

10. that article is a very interesting read, but it deals with 4 strokes... but what about breaking in two-srokers? I will need to know as my new Hyosung EZ-100 is being delivered this time next week. :)

11. I wouldnt say I particularly agree or disagree with him, but assuming his facts are true:

fact: engines are broken in hard at the factory.
    fact (presumed): the engines arent damaged at the factory.
    therefore: one wont damage the engine by breaking it in hard on the road.

12. I wouldn't want to try it with a 2-stroke :eek:

The rings are far too close to the exhaust port for comfort :p

13. A better answer to this question would have made the article much more compelling.

I came across this article when i was breaking my bike in but it was all a little to late for that when I was half way to my first service. But I don't know anywhere near enough about this kind of stuff to say either way so by default I'll follow the manufacturers instructions, they built it so they should know and they also decide if they will honour the warrantee so without any technical knowledge otherwise I'll listen to manufacturer.

14. i have a theory that the way people treat their vehicles
    is analogous to the way they treat their partners,
    and visa-versa.

with that said,
    you may want to approach running in a new engine
    with similar regard as you would a new relationship.

15. Yeah fair enugh guys about the hammering it and all but i think that this issue will never be resolved. I think that there is an owners manual for a reason. If that reason is to give the rider time to get used to the bike rather than for the engines sack then who gives. The morale of the story is that the Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki etc are the ones that are giving you your warranty so do around about what they ask and then you'll be safe if something fcuks up.

16. you guys didnt address the idea that broken-in-hard engines produce more power and last just as long.

but still, remember the bike companies are just businesses - what they say is not necessarily in your best interest.

17. so many views on running-in that get around, and most sound like they have merit, so what does one do? also lets not forget that new brakes also need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 300 or so km.

18. Stick with the manufacturers suggestions. They have outlines mainly to cover their own ass as they have worked out the most reliable way to break in a motor. I know many who have broken engines in hard with mixed results. I have seen some really good results after breaking an engine in hard. I have also seen a shitload of engines that are blowing smoke with less than 20,000ks on the clock.