Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Breaking In and Fixing Damage

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Joff, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Hey All,

I Finally got my first bike - a black Kawasaki ZZ-R 250 and I am excited.

It only has 900kms on it so its still been "broken in". According to the owner's manual it should be kept under 6,000RPM until I clock 1,600kms up. How important do you guys think this is? I've heard some say that it should also be revved hard now and then during this period or there can be problems down the track.

Also, unfortunately one of the guys who test rode it before me dropped it and put a few scratches on the right fairing and front wheel guard thingy, as well as a minor crack in the right indicator lens. I will probably end up repairing this damage at some point and would like to know what needs to be done/where to go/how much etc?

Thanks for any input guys.
  2. What I do with most motors is this.

1. Stay under whatever the book says, if only to cover your own butt.
    2. Don't hold constant revs. If you are on a 60 km road change gears from time to time and roll off and on the throttle.
    3. Do rev hard but ramp up to it. Don't go out and throw the throttle wide open but work up slowly to it until you're using about 80% throttle. Only go to 100% after the X number of ks and the oil change.
    4. Change your oil at 1600 kms.
  3. Out of curiousity, is it still under warranty?
  4. I think it might be actually,

its a 2003 model. Why do you ask?
  5. Excellent advice, line!!!

Look after it now and it'll look after you for a long time.
  6. Just picked up a brand new(1.6km on the clock) CBR600F4i and the advice from the dealer regarding running in was not to flog it. But he also advised against treating it like a "nugget" otherwise it will always be a "nugget" whatever that means. I assumed it meant open it up a little every now and then just to get it going while it is bedding in otherwise it will never really sing.

The owners manual mentioned no rapid acceleration and no open throttle starts. That was it for the first 1000km.