Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Breaking in Alpinestars Leather Boots

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by alex92, May 28, 2010.

1. New boots are very tight (as they should be) but I've never worn tight shoes before, so just wondering how I can break them in quickly?

I heard putting them in hot water while wearing them for about 15 minutes does the job pretty well..

Also, what leather care products should I use for my boots (SMX5's) and Astars leather jacket and gloves?

Thanks alot
  2. I use oakwood on my leathers and it softens them up nicely, can pick that up from saddlery shops. Can't go past dubbin either.
  3. No, boots should be snug fit, not "very tight". Especially when SMX5 is not an aggressive racing boot, you should feel comfortable wearing them. May be you need the next size up.

Better bring them back to the shop for exchange before you mess with hot water.
  4. I agree with that last statement.
    I have a pair of alpine stars boots, they were snug when they were new, and they now fit like a glove. They were never uncomfortable.
  5. Alpinestar can be very narrow across the bridge of the foot, so the length may be right but not the width.

It's possible that Alpinestar may never fit you and need to go to another brand. If where you bought them from wont give you an exchange then try this, dampen off some newspaper and force it down into the toe of boot, allow the boot to dry naturally and not in front of a heater, then apply your leather care. You may need to do this a couple of times.
  6. I had heard treating your leathers with oil based products could soften them for the worst, softer, making them wear through on the road quicker?
  7. get a pair of Sidi's :p