Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Breaking in a new bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tanzxr, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Hey guys/gals,

I just got myself a brand spankin new CBR 600RR 07'. Problem is, i was so excited about the bike i wasn't really listening to the dealer dude when he was ranting on about what to do and what not to do to break the bike in. Anyone out there got some advice for me on this? It's only done 8kms its whole life. I want my baby to be broken in right...

2. The manual says what you should / shouldn't do when running it in. There's two trains of thought with riders (which you can find if you search):

1. Run it in as per the manual and generally take it easier in the first 1,000km or so.
    2. Run it hard from day dot (when its up to temperature).

Personally, I'd take option 1 but would make sure I'd place load on the engine when accelerating (without thrashing it).
  3. Yep. Whenever you get a new bike and tell us how wonderful it is, the first thing you have to do is take pictures of it and post them!

Apart from that:
    Give it exercise at all kinds of revs: high, low and medium. Don't flog it at redline, but don't be scared to go close on the odd occasion.
    You'll probably want to do an oil change after it's first 1,000k's and you should be lubing the chain as often as you put fuel in it.

It's a new Honda, nothing will go wrong.
  4. ya, don't red line it

and some pics would be nice =]
  5. [​IMG]

6. I pretty much follow the book. Under 4000 for the first 800k then under 6000 until 1600k. My ER6 sort of forced this as the ECU was set up so it ran rough just above 4000. They must have changed the map at the first service as its OK now. As the engine smooths out I push the revs higher. I don't baby it but go by how the engine feels and vary the revs. It took about 3000k for my wife's suzuki to run smoothly all the way out. After 1200k the ER6 is smooth out to 8000 but most of the time I stay under 6000.
    When we got the suzuki the salesman suggested back streets for a while as the stopping and starting varies the revs and it seems to have worked for both bikes. Going for a run at constant revs is apparently a nono.
  7. really?

geez if you see my thread on my boyfriend's new bike, apparently posting about it & taking pics is 'bragging' and 'being vain' and therefore you 'deserve' to get abused........

seriously, I know the dealer told my other half to make sure the bike is under load for the first 1000kms, then you take it in for it's first service, then you can rev it harder.

but i know some people here think you should just hammer the thing from day dot.
  8. Well, the Motoman method just has you run it hard (after a proper warm-up) for a short period, building up the load as you go.

Start off using mineral oil, change it at 50 to 100 km, and then use normal run-in procedures from then on. Convert to synthetic after 1,000 km or so.

The important thing is to bed in the rings straight away. The other parts won't be harmed by the seeming abuse. The photos he shows of bikes run in using his method, and the blowby evident on bikes which follow the manufacturers' guidelines, were enough to convince me to follow this technique next time.

Trevor G
  9. But the most important part really, is to post pics of your new bike.
  10. Awww, what colour is it? :)

Don't sit in the same rev range and gear for too long as well :grin:
  11. You've got to rev the engine...DO NOT cruise around at constant revs - it'll ruin it!

Stay off full throttle, but don't be afraid to run the engine through 3/4 of it's rev range, buy constantly (where possible), giving it some reasonable gas and the letting it run down through the revs again.

For the first 100k's make sure you heat cycle the engine4-5 times...full hot to full cold, but pulling over stopping to let it cool down.

DO NOT THRASH IT, but make use of the power up to about 2/3rds max, and stay away from consistantly redlining it.

Change your oil at about 500k's if you like.

And remember....that's just the engine...you have a gearbox, clutch and all manner of other parts that are running in while you are running your engine in...some take longer than others, so be smooth....NO full throttle take-offs from the lights....remember your clutch is new to. But it can handle 1/2-2/3rds throttle easily enough, as long as you are'nt doing it every time you take off.

Watch your speeds - licences can be fragile while running in a supersport, so get out and away from the burbs.
  12. So how are you going with it, tanzxr? I've had mine since end of Sep and used Motoman as a guide. Raven also advised me and "helped" seal the rings :LOL:

The main thing I took from it is, that the 1st 100km or so is the critical time (followed by the next few 100s) to get the engine familiar with its range. So no tootling or same speeds/revs at the start. Have your revs up and down (2-6, 3-7, 5-10, 3-9...) whatever, as long as you're up and down all over the place and not at full throttle. Do it in different gears, especially 2nd-4th?? I think it was. Very hard to get the revs high in the high gears unless you can do it on a track or dyno. Focus on decelerating (ease off the throttle) rather than lots of braking in that time. But as others have said, be aware that you won't have full braking straight away, and the other bits need to wear in too. When the brakes are fully set, you'll know it :shock: :wink:

After running mine in that way, my exhaust sounds a lot gruntier. I'm hoping that's a good thing!

Unless I missed it, my manual only said not to redline it while running it in. They seem to have taken away the "up to these low revs for this many kms..."
  13. I don't subscribe to the motoman method whole-hearedly...What he says is correct for the most part IMHO, but thrashing your bike and running it hard from the get-go, while it may get the rings bedded in well, it can also reduce the longevity of the engines life.
    In other words...really good power in the shorter term, but poor reliability in the longer term.

Somehwere in the middle is about right, IMHO.
  14. Not posting photos of your new bike will cause premature chain-wear, water in the fuel tank, and possibly the throwing of a piston into your crotch.
  15. ur all wrong.

except for ktulu :grin:
  16. Yep.. I just purchased a Suzuki V Storm today (pick it up tomorrow) and what you've said is basically on the dot what the manual says!
  17. Dont race the engine when cold, give it the odd squirt when warmed up.
    Dont sit at constant speeds / revs
    Dont load the engine up.
    Just ride it normal until first service / 1000k's

Then its open slather my friend..

Have owned 4 new bikes in the past 4 years and this is the way i have treated them all. :grin:
  18. So many opinions! ARGH! Hahahaha Here's a question... Does it differ between 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines? (I have an R6 but just curious?). I think the main points to take out of all of this is to not keep the engine at the same revs for any prolonged period of time. Vary the revs so it seals properly. Just no redlining.

My 2c :]
  19. Follow the book if you plan on keeping the bike a while......
  20. THanks dudes for the overwhelming responses...its much appreciated.

And, as requested, photos! Check her out....brand spankin new...she screams ride me eh...(p.s sorry for the quality, i'm on a dialup plan and my connection/speed sucks so bad....grrr)