Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brand spankin' new to Bikes!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by absenttrojan, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Hi All! Few week reader, first time poster.

I have to start off by saying the amount of knowledge, encouragement & support on this forum - or maybe thats the bike scene in general - is just awesome! You all deserve a pat on the back.

My name is Jason, I'm 34 & based in Upper Ferntree Gully. I know pretty much next to nothing about bikes, but I finally got around to getting my learners at HART Kilsyth a few weeks ago. Loved it!

My main motivation behind getting my learners was so I could get rec reg for the old xr250 in the shed that I've never ridden. Mates were not keen to take me out until I had rec reg - so when I come off, I'm covered.

Though, after I got my learners I had such a great time that I have been giving some really serious thought to getting a road bike. I loved the feel of leaning on around those bright orange cones, etc. Just the feel of riding ... :grin:

Just about everything I've been reading has been against cruisers, though I've always loved the look & sound of them. I've had the huge V8 car when I was younger so got that out of my system. I'm happy to enjoy the trip rather than breaking my neck to get somewhere - or beating the person next to me. Maybe I have to go through this again.

A couple of random beginner questions about cuisers:

1. Are 250 cruisers expensive to insure in comaprison to sports bikes? Does this vary between the models greatly?

2. I've seen braking & heard steering can be issues with cruisers, this should turn me away there shouldn't it? Would this be something I'd get used to on the bike?

3. How far over can someone lean on a cruiser? I don't have to get to the point where I'm scaping my knee, but I wouldn't want to corner trying to remain too uprightish.

4. Any idea on aftermarket exhaust costs? Pros / Cons?

5. I've read about lower back pain on cruisers over longer rides. What gets sorest on a sports bike (eg CBR250R)

6. Are there any cruisers I should stay away from?

So now I have to:

- Convince Finance Manager (strife) to letting me get a loan for all this
    - Get gear, bike, insurance, etc
    - Trying to ease the pressure coming from everyone who's been in my ear about how dangerous it is etc.

Hey, any suggestions are welcomed. I AM slowly getting through the site & trying to digest and weigh up all the information & opinions on the site.

That's it from me
    Cheers
    Jason

2. Hi Jason, welcome to netrider!

It's a smart move, you'll learn and heap and gain many many new friends here :)

I'll start off by giving you my answers on your questions,

1. Are 250 cruisers expensive to insure in comaprison to sports bikes? Does this vary between the models greatly?
    In theory, from my experience - I'd think Cruisers are actually cheaper to insure than sports bikes. It makes sense, since statistically sports bikes are more common in accidents.

2. I've seen braking & heard steering can be issues with cruisers, this should turn me away there shouldn't it? Would this be something I'd get used to on the bike?
    Ofcourse sports bikes are going to handle and brake better, but you're not going to need all that handling and brake power unless you're screaming around or on a track - Cruisers will have plenty of handling and braking capability, i seriously doubt you'll have any hassles there.

3. How far over can someone lean on a cruiser? I don't have to get to the point where I'm scaping my knee, but I wouldn't want to corner trying to remain too uprightish.

I've seen some crazy leans on cruisers, it all depends on what bike you get. some might have the foot pedals quite low and wide, which would scrape easily, others which might have a splash of the sporty feel to them to allow you to snake your way through turns.
    Best bet is to find out a few bikes you're interested in then ask here for advice on each, you'll get alot more info this way

4. Any idea on aftermarket exhaust costs? Pros / Cons?
    Ummm, I think mine for the CBR was $800, but I'm sure you can get them cheaper.
    Pros - Louder, people hear you sooner, sounds great, gets peoples attention, etc etc etc.
    Cons - can get annoying if you're going on long highway rides, starts to drone in your head alot, Police might not like you too much, though i've never had any hassles, pisses off your neighbours when you're warming it up in the morning.

5. I've read about lower back pain on cruisers over longer rides. What gets sorest on a sports bike (eg CBR250R)

On long rides on a sports bike, at first you'll easily get a sore back, neck, wrists, etc etc. Over time you'll get over them.

6. Are there any cruisers I should stay away from?

Not that i know of :)
    Just don't buy a bike from Sumoto's in North Melbourne. (personal opinion.)

Hopefully that gives you some answers, but i'm sure some people might have different answers.

What do you think of these looks?

VTR250
    [img:500:318:0b82d04d7f]http://www.250ccbikes.com/images/upload200102080506025265.jpg[/img:0b82d04d7f]
    If i were back at the buying stage and knew what i know now, i'd possibly get one of these, i love the looks of them.
    still too sporty?

I hear good things about the Virago 250
    [img:600:400:0b82d04d7f]http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/mcy/500/04VIRAGO250_BLK_1.jpg[/img:0b82d04d7f]

All depends what you're after really, i don't know of many 250 cruisers, maybe someone else can point you in the right direction :)

Don't stress about people who're telling you how dangerous it is, it's an in-built mindset, they'll stop saying it as much after you've been riding a while. :)

Gear should cost you about 2k if you buy all good stuff, which i recommend.

Anyway, good luck and welcome! :D

- Matt

3. welcome jason, matty seems to have answered all your q's so ill just say

g'day :grin:

4. Welcome to Netrider :)

Have a look at the manufacturers web sites, most of them make 250 cruisers and most of them are reliable and cheap to insure and cheap to run.

If you like the cruiser style then go for it!

5. Hi Jason, welcome to the forum! If you like cruisers then by all means you should get one, but one thing you need to realise is that a 250cc cruiser is a bit of a misnomer. They are 250cc bikes dressed up in cruiser style, but the thing is, a 250cc engine is labouring pretty hard to move you along at around 100km/h, while the bike is light and small and is starting to get twitchy - so you don't really get that 'cruising feeling' and you probably wouldn't really want to do long open road trips on one of these. Real cruiser needs to be bigger not to go faster, but to feel more relaxed and 'planted'.

I predict once you ride any 250 for the required year you'll want to upgrade to a bigger bike so my advice is not to worry too much about what you get as your first, and not to put too much money into it. It is unlikely to be worth your while to spend extra on aftermarket exhaust, for example.

6. You can get exhausts from $300 +(avr price $600 ish)

You should always warm up and stretch before a big ride, I never get any pain.

For a bike like a Virago, give AAMI a call, you over 25, so that's good, I can't imagine 3rd party fire and theft being much more than $220 ish

Maybe you might like the Hyosung Aprilla 650, it can be restricted so it's a LEGAL learner bike, and then de restricted when your off...Tim 650 has a brand new one, they are obviously bigger than a 250 so maybe you'd like that, they are around $8k new onroad

7. Yeah, that would be a good option, as would Yamaha XVS650... if he was in NSW. But I believe Upper Gully would be in Victoria so no LAMS for him!

8. g'day jason!

9. Welcome Jason. See if some of the helpful Melbourne Netriders will give you a pillion ride on a few different types of bikes; that will give you a bit of a feel.
    But the main consideration should be how many different types of rides you want to do. If you just want to 'cruise' to work and back and take a leisurely jaunt up the valley on the weekend, then go the cruiser. If you think you might want to do all sorts of riding, then a naked bike would probably be better.....
    Either way, you've come to the right place!! :grin:

10. Hi Jason! I was exactly the same when I started out. I liked the look of cruisers, but they generally lack somewhat in performance. There are plenty of nakeds that are a compromise between cruiser and performance styles. Shop around and try everything. Dont make a decision on a bike before you bring it for a spin.

11. G'day Jason :)

12. hey welcome to the forum jason.

i was like you when i started riding a bit. i really wanted a cruiser didnt want to touch a sports bike at all thought they looked really uncomfortable.
    but then i rode my mates cbr250 and i was not so much converted but realised i was completely wrong. and now i have a sports bike.

so dont close down all your options untill you try them all i say. have a go on everything u can and u will know if it suits u when u are riding it.

13. Hi Jason, just wanna give you my version, I was initially looking for a cruiser after getting my L's but changed my mind as advice from these forums told me to sit on as many bikes as possible. The comfort of the cruiser is definitely a great aspect of that style of bike and they look pretty sexy too.

You won't really know until you have been riding a while as to what kind of bike you really want. Short test rides don't really tell you much about a bike as a learner all you can really do is take the plunge on a bike that's really comfy to sit on, and make sure you sit on it with both feet on the pegs. (have someone hold the bike for you).

that's some good advice.

Hope to see you out there soon.

14. Welcome Jason - MattyB must have od'd on caffiene.

15. Welcome to the boards..... heres some more info about cruisers... my partner was one a vt250c cruiser..... v tiwn, great bike, pull hard (for a 250) up to about 80km after that, you really hard to work the gears to get them up and going, which makes overtaking fun and i believe though they don't get much over about 145 in a straight line and can just nud 150 if you tuck right down low :LOL: ;)

They don't take much to get them scraping pegs (well the vt250c) anyway... ever for a new rider i would think within a couple of months you will be scrapping and looking for more lean but it looks cool if you are following but in saying that they are a cruiser, if you want cornering performance get a sports/nake.

As for maintance, she never had any issues (that i can remember) although oiling the chain/replacing the chain and sprockets is a bit of a hassle, as they have no centrestand, but hey alot of sports bike don't have them either so no big lose..... one thing we did notice was parts for the vt250c were unquie (handbar) had to be a replacement (couldn't swap for another type as the mounting was very different).

Apart from that it was a great bike to her....

As for exhaust, this bike sounded great and all that was done to it, was removed baffles.... no cost just a bit of time and your done.... although you might be able to pick up a second hand exhaust system, from the wreckers.... don't be afraid to modify your bike because you will be stuck on it for atleast 15months, so if you got a little spare cash and wanna spend it do so, don't let the fac tthat it's a 250 put you off, just know that you won't get it back....

Hope this helps a little, but like others have said sit on as many bikes as possible. Even try and get a test ride if you can.

16. i dont know if im alowed to plug companys but give
    www.aussie-motorcycle-hire.com alook they have a branch in ringwood and they have a virago and a zzr just get someone to go for a ride with u