Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

braking to steady the rear

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by twistngo, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rather than hijack billyj's thread I thought I'd start another

he says

coming into a rh bend at approx 75km/h my rear end became unsettteled so i applied a small amount of rear brake to correct it

this seems a recipe for disaster to me, as it was in his case.

so what does one do when the rear starts moving around in a corner? The few times its happened to me I've held the throttle steady or accelerated slightly and ridden it out.
  2. :LOL:

I wasn't criticising, just suggesting that the topic has been well ventilated in the past and that much profit could be gained by reading what's been posted already..
  3. amen, i ride it out if i lose traction.

Nobody likes a highside. The landing feels like a spanking.

Although i have to say rounding a corner, knee on the deck and realising that you don't have enough lean to clear it is bloody scary! I found myself in this situation once and kept on the tarmac by less than half a metre. Needless to say it made me take the pace down a notch for the remainder of the day! lol
  4. I find if you are at full lean and need a bit more cornering just lean forward and drop your wieght a bit. If the wheel breaks traction i wouldnt touch the brake thats called highsiding but if your suspension is bouncing just a gentle touch on the rear brake while keeping the power on settles it down a little bit.
  5. Go slower around the corner next time.

This should be the answer to every cornering question.
  6. it's very simple....don't you watch motogp......just dangle a leg out:rofl:
  7. A Twist of The Wrist reckons you should weight the pegs too.

Not that I've ever pushed hard enough to nearly be in a highside, though I'm pretty sure my strategy would be to panic and fall off.
  8. Works for me! No offs yet!

Failing that, and things do become unsettled, just keep at it smoothly...and hold on!
  9. Yeah - that is my strategy too!
  10. It does?? For this exact scenario?? Title and page number please.

Fair call on the thread there twistngo. If you're well into the corner and your bike feels unsettled, the last thing you should ever do is reach for the back brake. If you're really cranked over, you have a bunch of forces acting on your body and probably have some adrenalin going, especially if things don't feel stable, so asking your right foot to apply a well measured fine motorskilled amount of rear brake while on the side of the tyres that wont further destabalise the bike is going to be an ask beyond most riders.

The most stable a bike can be in a corner is with a slight weight bias towards the rear - you get that by accelerating slightly. If you've come in too hot and are in the corner, cranked over and you need to wash off speed, then gentle front brake trailing with steady to rolling off throttle and additional countersteer are about your best choices unless you have enough tarmac to stand it up and ebrake. You might even not consider the front brake at all. Why use up valuable traction is all that's needed to get you around is a harder countersteer?

The spinning rear hoop gives your bike stability. Don't f'ck with it - especially in a corner.... unless you have the full and entire traction picture and know what you're doing.

Let the discussions re-begin.

Left first by the way.
  11. Gld this topic has come up. I scare myself sometimes on corners, especially those I am unfamiliar with, and have a bad habit of using the back brake too much, so I really appreciate this thread.
  12. In Chapter 3, Page 4 of A Twist of the Hip, it states that after taking a moment to consider your situation, it's advisable to swivel the hips off the bike whilst maintaining firm (but not too firm) grip on the bars. This will allow you to run alongside your bike. The reduced weight combined with greater steering imput will permit a steeper lean angle and thus the corner will be negotiated successfully and the dire situation averted.......the rider can then swivel the hips again to remount the bike and contine on. O:)

Only joking, but just in case you haven't figured it out, please do not attempt to extract any meaningful advise from this post.
  13. Dont you blokes have any feeling in your feet or something? A little touch of the rear brake will settle the ass end down in open corners, and no you will not instantly highside unless you have lead boots and absolutely stand on the rear brake...
  14. Just occurs to me that maybe fennell is talking about 4/10 cornering and robsalvv is talking about 9.5/10...
  15. this topic always amazing me, why don't people just ride through it, (unless you are dragging hard parts) the bike will go over further 99.9% of the time, simply push on the bars, keep your arms relaxed drop the inside shoulder, and keep your eyes UP and looking for apex no different to the corner before except the lean angle might be slightly greater and the speed faster

If you have misread the corner that badly to start with you probably aren't at the skill level to **** with brakes while going round that corner anyway
  16. +1

I learnt about using the front as a stabiliser in cycling after years of people telling me "don't touch the front break you'll go wide". I think if you're skilled enough to give things a dab as a correction you should use the tools available. This is also one of the reasons why I give two finger braking favour over the full hand monty.

As far as giving the rear brake a dab is concerned in a corner... My feet are sitting in a different place when i corner. My boots tend to be jammed right up in the heel guards to avoid unnecessary boot scrapage. I don't particularly like the idea of using the rear brake on the traction wheel of the bike in a corner so i'm happy with how i corner.
  17. What do you ride and where are the balls of your feet when you're cornering?
  18. I'm using more and more rear brake as I work things out. Just sayin.

I run a hand brake now too, so I've always got it there. Good for the right handers were there's no room, and just started racing dirt track which is a bit of a relevation on bike handling.