Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Braking through a corner?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by BubblyJoe, Aug 7, 2009.

1. When I went for my pre-learner's course the instructor specifically told everybody not to brake while in a turn.
    However when I'm out on the road I usually use light braking to make a sharper turn around corners. Is this the right thing to do, or am I just developing bad riding habits?

2. What you are talking about is what is referred to as trail braking…
    Hit the search button and go for a browse, there is some really good content about the pros and cons of trail braking…
    It is considered a more advanced technique, have a read of the stuff already here and then if you have any questions left outstanding shoot em on in and watch the feathers fly.
  3. For newer riders this includes myself, I wouldn't recommend it until you get enough riding experience under your belt to go to a proper riding course get shown how to do it properly.
  4. if you have to do it its a bad habit. either your entry speed is set too fast, you're turning too early or too slowly or you aren't comfortable leaning the bike enough. if you choose to do it (trail braking) its not a problem.
  5. Geeth is right...AS Falcon Lord said...go searching...you will find the underlying message for new riders is to get some general and sound experience under your belt before you start braking in/through corners. At this stage, you need to be learning to set the correct entry speed so that you can be on the throttle a little bit as you go through the corner, generally speaking...and at a speed that you will be able to avoid an emergency, taking into account your level of ability.
    What you are doing is'nt "wrong", but I'm sure you cannot answer yet, as to "why" you are doing it.
    You need to be doing it for a specific reason, as part of a technique that you are deploying in a given corner and training of a more advanced nature, or heading out with some experienced riders will help you there.