Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Braking around corners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by 99sydrd, Feb 2, 2008.

1. While riding and i realise that im travelling too fast for the corner that im in my first reaction is to grab the brakes, my question is which one front or back or both together?

I've been using the front one very lightly but im sure there is a method for this. Any advice appreciated !

2. oooooh, this topic again!

the trick, my child, is to avoid the brakes at all costs (during normal riding) whilst rounding a corner.
    a little rear brake is sometimes acceptable but remember any braking in a corner will change the way your bike is sitting, ruining its balance/line, and make you MORE likely to be bucked off.
    it is always better to pucker yer arse up, lean harder, and ride the fcuker out!
  3. thankyou! no brakes it is !
  4. And being aware of your surroundings and adjust your speed before the corner. Slower in, faster out.

We all have "oh sh!t" moments however :eek:
  5. hey chris, lucky we got here first....else we'd be talking apexs and shit already! :LOL:
  6. Yeah mate wide entry, apex, power on :LOL: I almost didnt post with the memory of my RF off dragging the rear brake still fresh.
    No need to do it on the Bandit though :wink:
  7. Too complicated. I'm not touching it. :LOL:
  8. For the most part, don't brake, lean harder, and dont fixate on the side of the road.

However, at all costs I would avoid using the front brake mid corner, try riding around at low speed somewhere (be careful by the way) and grab a handful of front brake, then try doing the same speed then grabbing a footful of rear brake, the front upsets the suspension more.
  9. :LOL: Worst. Advice. Ever.

You tell him to do something stupid, but be careful while doing it.

Basically, you can brake while leaned over, but squeeze it on smooooooth. Grab a handfull of anything, and you're a good chance of going down.

BUT, the way I think you're asking the original question, don't brake, just tip it over more and trust it. Don't try and set your speed mid corner, it's too late.
  10. Brakes are a last resort

Set your speed early, set your gears earlier.

Pay $400 and do level 1 superbike school- by the sounds of this topic it could possibly save your life!

Use too much brake while leaned over it picks the bike up (makes you run wide) or you lowside if you use even more.

Having the throttle cracked and slowly accelerating is what you want to achieve

Rear "twist of the wrist" and other similar books. Chances are you/your bike could go through that corner much faster but your lines and technique need to be refined.
  11. the more lean angle you are carrying the less brakes you can use. you would be suprised how a gentle squeeze on the front and rear can reduce your speed.
    leaning the bike more in is fine if youve got the clearence and the tyres, doesnt always work but.

the most important thing is but to only shit your pants AFTER you have negotiated the corner.
  12. +1 its not nice having shit running down the inside of your leg while your trying to lean through the corner and push the bike through harder :LOL:
  13. innovation

14. Dimpled for extra pleasure.
  15. does it vibrate aswell?
  16. +1!!!!

Hart intermediate course has a whole section on braking in a corner.

In a nutshell: Front brakes only. Gradual set up and squeeze... but it is intended to end up with a stop.

Yes the front brake makes the bike dive more, BUT, misusing the rear brake has more potential problems than the front. I'm frankly sick of talking about it on NR.

Try these articles for some extra understanding about misusing the rear brake:

Just a comment on the last article, try as I might, I have not been able to get the rear wheel off the deck using rear brake only - theory says it's possible...
  17. Harsh engine braking will get the rear wheel bouncing badly (visibly) along the ground.
  18. I tend to use my rear brake on corner entry and mid-corner because it is so weak that it can barely bring me to a halt, but is still sufficient to trim speed, and because I have low-sided twice after panicked reflexive grabs at the front in a corner. Given what has been said, while it seems safe on my ZXR, should I now try and avoid it as much as possible so that it does not become a habit which might get me in trouble on a larger bike with a better rear?
  19. :!: Panicked reflex grab. :!: That's the key point of your lowsides, NOT solely the fact that front brake was used.

A bump mid corner that causes you to accidentally jam on the rear and stop it spinning for a split second may VERY WELL see you getting in a more hairier situation. There's nothing inherently safe about the rear brake - infact, step outside it's tight operating envelope in the wrong spot (e.g. mid corner) and a highside is the likely result.

Drag it if you must, but be aware of the full picture and be competent and experienced in cornering and high performance riding.

Some final comments from me:

Some bikes need a touch of rear to squat the bike and improve suspension performance in a corner. Any modern bike shouldn't need that if the suspension is properly set up.

Trailing the rear is sometimes done on the exit of corners to control wheel spin. Are you leaving blackies on the exits?? If no, then you don't need it.

If you're really sliding your arse and weight shifting off the bike, you shouldn't have any access to the rear brake.
  20. mmmm...Not everyone will agree...but if you know your rear brake VERY well, using it judiciously going into a corner will help tighten up your line if you are running a bit wide....I used to do it all the time actually....but beware...I NEVER did it with the purpose of trying to wash off exess speed...THAT can be a recipe for disaster if your luck runs out.

On a modern sportsbike, using the front brake is the better choice....provided you approeciate the extra stress on grip at a time when grip may already be at a premium....But the right amount of lean, throttle reduction and gentle brake using the front brakes is generally the safest bet if you find that you HAVE to get on the brakes coz you seriously messed things up.

When that happens to me (big *uck up on corner entry speed), I will let the bike run wider through the apex to reduce the amount of lean and dependency on front wheel grip while feeding in the front brake, and stay off the throttle longer through the turn until I am back to the speed I should have been at.... then I feed in the throttle as I release the brakes and tip the bike in more to power out of the corner....get it right and it's ultimately fine...get it wrong and it's a heart-attack waiting to happen.

Ideally it's best to be a little conservative on your entry speed to avoid such circumstances....but we all get in too hot now and then.
    If it is happening alot in your general riding, then you need to look seriously at the approach phase of your cornering, and simply slow it down.