Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Braking and Blipping

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by BRK, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ok, so i have searched and unserstand the concept of 'blipping' the throttle though i do have one question,

Do you use the front brake with four fingers whilst blipping the throttle at the same time? or do you brak, then blip the throttle then brake again?

im currently braking with my outside three fingers whilst blipping with my thumb and index, is the wrong? i find braking with four fingers and blipping with the thumb only quite hard.

2. I was taught you should not use your index finger to hold the throttle, when blipping and braking. Just practice.
  3. All depends on the circumstances is my guess.
    I'm still a newbie, I use my thumb/palm on the throttle and I've used, 2, 3 or 4 fingers on lever and at times I blip without touching the brake at all ( If I'm slowing just a little and want to get in the 'right' gear for the speed )
    Others with more experience may either confirm this or rip it to shreds :p
  4. I don't know how many fingers is "right". I use one, but I imagine most bikes wouldnt get away with that.

One thing is for certain though, it is one smooth application of the brakes, not stop start as you blip.
  5. I grew up on two strokes, motocross and road bikes, which of course have minimal compression locking. No blipping needed. I moved to four strokes when the CBR900RR came out, and discovered lockup.
    I never learnt to blip, instead I used the clutch to equalise engine speed and wheel speed when braking. I just brake, pull the clutch, change down, slip it a touch, change, and so on. I use alot of back brake too. Pretty much what I did on two strokes, but alot more slipping.
    It seems to work for me, and might be an alternative if blipping doesn't feel right for you.
  6. I do that mostly too devnull, but there's situations where blipping comes naturally with a sense of self preservation. For instance changing down gears in a drastically tightening radius turn where the bike stays at max lean angle. It's not something I'd want to be learning "on the job".

i.e. get it down pat, then use at your discretion (blipping past cops seems to create look-at-me attention).
  7. They like it even less if you just down shift and back it in :LOL:
  8. i always just bliped, didnt know why or what it did, but its just something i did since i learnt to ride at 5ish years old *shrug*
  9. yeah I have been riding a week and i just picked it up as well. Its quite easy. I sorta make my hand in an "perfect" type logo...U konw..when someone asks u how ur meal is and you do the hand gesture "perfect!"

So index finger and thumb are touching and wrapped round throttle and brake is constantly applied. I find i hardly need the brake when downgearing.
  10. Yes, either that, or they'll be mesmerized how cool it looks :LOL:

I rarely use the front brake on my 250. Being a thumper, it has loads of engine braking, which is good, because those drum brakes can't stop for crap and they wear out fairly quickly (well, generally anyway, they're not as good as a disc, but my brakes have been bedded in properly, so stop pretty well for their simple design). I only use the brake if I need to slow down quickly (a cager doing something stupid), or am riding at a fast pace into the corners etc (on semi-aggressive knobby dual sport tyres, mind you :LOL: ). I did set the back brake switch so the brake light comes on before the brake actually starts working, for safety. So usually I let the bike slow itself up while I rest my foot on the back brake to switch the brake light on. Anything to preserve those drum brakes for when I really need them.
  11. Whatever you do, let the clutch out slowly when blipping.

If you let it out too quickly the bike will "jump" forward. Handy when you wanna do a power wheelie or something.

I find that if I'm going hard I brake and blip at the same time. Practice and more practice.

If I'm just cruising and feel like powering out of a corner harder than normal I'll do it separately before the corner i.e brake brake blip blip lean/turn (because I'm being lazy).
  12. i do what 'oohsam' does aswell, just didnt know wether or not it was bad to brake with only three fingers.

cheers all.

13. Baring deviations for specific types of circumstances....and for general road riding on a road bike, DO NOT rely too much on your rear brake.

You need to be using your front brake as the primary weapon of choice.

Learning to handle the throttle while braking is an important technique to master, which does take some practice to get comfortable with.
    Whether you use 2,3, or 4 fingers, probably does'nt matter too much, just as long as you are adept at the technique. However, I usually use my last three fingers for the brake with my index and thumb for the throttle.

The imoprtant thing is to become proficient with being able to match your revs with the speed and gear selection of the bike, while using the brakes hard, or soft.
  14. True but I think you should leave downshifting under hard braking until you are very familiar with your bike and/or have a fair bit of experience.
  15. I blip with thumb and index finger. :)

Perhaps the only unlikely disadvantage I can concieve of is under very heavy breaking (emergency stop) or if your fluid level is low (why is it low?!), you might jam your index finger between the lever and the grip. Would depend on the bike though too. On my CBF the lever is curved around where my index finger usually wraps the grip so its unlikely to ever be an issue for me.

I'm inclined to agree with raven on fingers. 3 fingers seems more than adequate in my experience, even for quick stops - and my brakes aren't anything special.
  16. If you get your blipping just right, there should be minimal jumping as the engine speed is right for the transmission/wheel speed.
  17. Just a quick flick of the clutch is all that's needed. That's the idea, let the engine smooth it out, not the clutch. Fart around too long with the clutch and you're just making it difficult for yourself with revmatching.... not to mention you're already too late for the next gear or the corner.
  18. That defeats the purpose of blipping...