Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brakes

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by LiLEd, Feb 13, 2007.

1. What the best way to break in new brake pads? Im sure my front pads are worn and need to be changed they squal and sound like they have been glased when i bounce the front suspension with the brakes on any ideas guys?
    Cheers
    Ed

2. If they squeal that means that the disc and pads have become to smooth. The disc has to be roughed up with emery paper to take away their smoothness. After installing new pads, roll backwards down hill and apply the brakes which has the new pads installed. Do this several times then in first gear ride forward, apply the brake. Do this forward a few times also. Thats it.

3. ride fast, take chances.

4. That is without a doubt one of the most bizarre brake bedding procedures i have ever read! I'd also question it's effectiveness... and perhaps your sanity if your rolling the bike backwards down a hill and applying the brakes.

Anyway, once you've removed the old pads and sprayed some brake cleaner in the calipers and cleaned off the dust you can depress the pistons to install the new brake pads. Once thats done you can do what most brake manufacturers recommend are a series of braking procedures to bed all components in as efficiently as possible. Start by ensuring the brakes are functional by squeezing the brake lever and trying to move the bike. Once your confident they're working as per normal you can start the process. In whatever gear is necessary (usually first) ride to 20km/h, then brake moderately but not firmly slowing to 10km/h. Then do the same from 30km/h slowing to 10km/h, then 40km/h to 10km/h, and keep doing it up to about 80km/h (or whatever your local speed limit is :p). At no point in time should the bike come to a complete stop whilst being firmly on the brakes. Once you've done that you can take it out and progressively increasing the braking force and speeds until they're completely bedded in.
    Initial bite will be restored after sometimes as much as a few hundred km's, but the majority of your braking force will be available after that bed-in procedure is complete.

5. Whatever! :roll: ...hiccup BUURRPP

7. i dont think it could be too bad if the dust is still there (but as always better done once and done right).

I usually bleed the brakes after changing pads and this is also a way to get rid of the old fluid in the line + can be a way you can get the fluid to the upper line and not over. There is alot of pressure applied to everything when u press the brakes on hard and maybe having too much might comprimise something im not sure... better to just follow the guidlines :)

8. Just bleed the brakes a little.

9. Brakes are working fine atm. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

Next will be replacing the brake lines but not just yet I think.