Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brakes for motorcycles

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by MisfitPL9, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Are there any motorcycles that use only one control ( ie: lever controls front and back braking system ) for the brakes.

If not - then why not ( I am not tech savvy with bikes ), and I cannot understand why there wouldnt be a system similar to a car braking system and its percantage for front and back brakes.

The only reason I can think of for the 2 levers on a bike is for stability or control.

Can anyone enlighten me?
  2. Because brakes affect the balance. If you try to stop with the front brake, while doing a tight turn in a parking lot, the bike might fling itself over.

Likewise if you try to use the rear brake in a high speed corner, you run the risk of sliding out and/or highsiding.

At any one point on a motorcycle, the amount of traction available to to a wheel can vary greatly. Those are extreme examples, but many people ride some sort of sports bike which push the limits of traction already.

Having said that, a lot of touring bikes have some sort of linked brakes in conjunction with ABS, e.g. BMW's R series.
  3. Control. There are times where you will want to control how much braking each wheel is doing.
  4. Hill starts!

Rear brake is good for hill starts since it takes time to release the front brake lever and twist the throttle, during which you may roll backwards, whereas you can start releasing the rear brake and applying throttle at the same time. Front brake is good for stopping because you have much more feel and finesse with your hand than foot. So a motorcycle works best with both.
  5. Isn't because motorbikes are more like bicycles than cars?
    It's the way things are.

Maybe it's the same with gear shifting - why on earth do cars (manuals) have a H pattern shift??

(PS: I do most of my hill starts with my right foot down)
  6. Because a 'W' pattern shift would be too confusing.
  7. ah, guys, some do. Linked braking systems on some bikes always apply some front brake with the rear, for instance. But it's not "50/50" and nor should it be on a bike.
  8. Talking of which, I've read this post detailing how some American nutter spent US$1650 all-up modifying his VFR-800 so it no longer had linked brakes.

I suppose some people just plain don't like them! :grin:
  9. There are some bikes where the front lever controls both front and rear brakes, and the foot lever controls just the rear.

The new ABS Honda Superbikes and a lot of BMW's come to mind.

I prefer it, personally.
  10. Why do people spread peanut butter on the right hand instead of left.. ?
  11. #11 blaringmike, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Honda have been doing a combined braking system (CBS) on their Blackbirds for a while.

The new fireblades ABS system uses some CBS as well I believe.

12. 'nuff said really.
  13. Moto Guzzi were doing it before anybody else. foot did one front disc and one rear, whilst the front lever did the other front disc.

also consider breaking a lever in a small fall.