Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

braked so hard i nearly...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by asafweis, Jan 11, 2009.

1. So i've been testing out my braking skills on my new street triple and found myself screetching the front tyre into a short skid, almost loosing it but then regained control by releasing the front brake.
    Ive never done this before and was wondering if it was a common thing. I kind of thought that on a dry road i could brake as hard as i could with the only risk being flipping over if i locked up.

sorry for my ignorance but has anyone else experienced this? It wasn't so pleasant.

asaf

2. umm do an advanced course soon.
    the tyre crackles just before it lets go.

3. Make sure the tires are warm before you go squeezing the brakes as hard as you can.

And don't "grab" the brakes.

You should apply enough to feel them take, and then squeeze. That doesn't mean it has to be soft, but by squeezing, you allow for better weight transfer to the front wheel which gives the tyre more traction, than if you "grab" fast and tight.

4. you said the magic words, "NEW", new tyres tend to be very slippery, just take it easy till they wear in.

5. Definitely not true. Your front wheel CAN lock and skid (as you've just experienced), and your bike will NOT flip from braking too hard.

6. but if u don't recover that skid, it will lay down very efficiently! :(

7. Ah....ok then...

I think you'll find if you grab heaps of front brake gradually enough you'll find yourself face first into the deck

8. thanks for the advice peoples. i can say that the tyres are worn in pretty well. I just finished a 2000km 10 day camping tour on them. I also haven't been grabbing the front brake abruptly. I've been doing the emergency stops at around 70km/h and just getting more and more aggressive with the squeeze. i'm doing this cause i recently had a considerate gentleman do a surprise u-turn in front of me where i had to stop suddenly. Everything worked except i used the back brake a little too much and felt myself fish tail for a bit. I want to be able to stop dead straight.
    Most people you talk to including those that train you say that you can squeeze that brake all the way till you stop. If you set it up properly the weight keeps building up at the front giving the front tyre more traction and surface area. No one said anything about loosing the front to a skid.

I guess i'm just a little hesitant now to keep practising something that might see my bike on its side.

asaf

9. I guess the other part of the equation is an absolutely clean, dry, dust-free road surface - which is rarely found on the public roads. I suspect your front tyre might have had its grip broken loose by some sand or various other crap on the road.

Part of the skill of braking is just monitoring traction and being able to ease up slightly if you start to skid... but as someone else said, in advanced courses they'll teach you ways to be extra aware of what's going on with the bike and avoid skidding.

Good work on the practice, though, and don't let this stop you.

10. That is true but at some point the braking force on the wheel will be greater than the traction the tyre has with the road and the wheel willlock. No different to driving a car and jumping on the brakes and the wheels lock up. The skill comes from being able to judge that traction and being able to feel when the wheel is on that threshhold of locking up and that will change constantly depending on the surface ie nice grippy tarmac vs loose surface, contaminants on the road like oil, water, sand etc, and temperature of the tyres etc etc. If the wheel does happen to lock all that is needed is a slight release of braking pressure to unlock it then you can reapply the brakes. You don't have to jump right off them or anything. You'll only get into trouble when you lock that front wheel and keep it locked.

The best way to master all of this is to do what you have been doing, practice, practice, practice. The more times you do it the more you build up your level of feeling for that traction level and the more automatic it becomes to react to it.

11. Depends on the tyre too. Pirelli Rosso's you can pull stoppies in the wet if you gradually increase the braking pressure enough.

It's all in the setup. With enough experience you'll learn to never grab the brakes hard, but rather squeeze them on quickly and firmly. There's a fine line between being too quick (front wheel lockup) and quick (insta-stoppie). Practise, practise, and practise.

12. thats why some bikes have ABS...

13. i was allways tought to let the front brake go as soon as you lock it but to ride the rear out if it locks... wrong?

14. Not really wrong; you can keep the rear locked & not fall over, not so with the front. Might be a bit hard on your tires though.

15. Yeah the thing about riding out a rear wheel lock up is to prevent high sides.

If you lock the rear wheel, and it slides to one side, as soon as you release the brake, the regains traction and rotation, and tries to snap back to the center position, tracking behind the front wheel. This snapping back, can easily throw you off the bike. The more out to the side it gets before you release, the harder the snap.

16. To do stoppies, you need to want to do stoppies... move your weight forward... normally you will lock the front wheel, it will slide from under you, and you will low side...