Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kenny c, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Hi All

I've currently running sintered brake pads on my CBR600F and after only 8000K's, the rear ones are worn out. I've been told that sintered pads are great for the track (i.e. better stopping power) but for better wear, it's better to go for the organic pads. Is this correct?
    I was always under the impression that sintered pads, being a harder compound, would wear better than the organics (although I'm aware it would wear the rotor out more quickly).
    Any advise would be welcome & appreciated.

2. To go through any pads on the rear in 8000km suggests that either your riding style uses a lot of back brake (which may or may not be a good thing, and that's a whole can of worms I'd prefer not to open on NR :D) or your rear caliper is a bit sticky and not allowing the pads to withdraw properly.
  3. Jesus 8k on a CBR600F. I ride the same bike.

I just replaced the rears after 12,000kms. The fronts were done at 6500kms and they had another 1.5mm on them.
  4. Slintered last longer then organic.
    8k - something is wrong there.
  5. He could indeed be using the rear too often. When I was first riding I was told I was sitting on the rear a lot and subsequently went through my first set in around 5000kms.
  6. Thanks for the replies.
    I'll have to try to modify my riding style to see how it goes with the next set of pads, but was curious as the bike shop recommended organics instead of sintered because they said the wear was better (although stopping power was less direct). This didn't make sense to me (although I realise that it's not the only reason for my over wear of rear brakes). I guess I'll stick with sintered again for the next set.