Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

brake pads for wife's new toy

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by slowandsteady, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Any advice on pads for my wife's new zzr250? good aftermarket ones or OEM better?
    Obviously not going to stop like my gt250r but noticed a fair difference as well as HEAPS of travel on the rear anchors! Is this more or less normal for the zzr? Theres plenty of meat on the rear pads so possible just needs some adjustment....
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Cameron

2. When I saw this heading and the user name, I had a COMPLETELY different thought!

This must be some toy (with brake pads??)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :bolt:
  3. toy???

Oops wrong forum..........
    valid point. perhaps I should have thought about the subject heading....then again...
  4. You should be able to get the excess lever travel out of the rear brakes with a bleed of the fluid.

Use any old pads on the rear brake. But use a sintered metal on the front: OEM pads are a joke price and nobody uses them- go for something like an EBC 'HH' pad (if they're still called that). Dunlopad, Carbon Lorraine and others also make good sintered metal pads.

These pads WILL cause slightly faster disc wear but the extra braking power is well, well worth it. If the feel is poor (squishy lever) in the front and the bike is old (10 years or more) consider also a braided brake line.
  5. Thank H_G!
    have bled the rear and adjusted a bit of slack play in the pedal....much better.
    Will change to aftermarket fronts next service (even though the existing ones have plenty of material left)
  6. Also check your disc thickness, if your disc is worn you will get
    poor braking performance and excessive slack in the pedal