Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake pad screw stuck

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Chogy123, Aug 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stupid question, but i cant seem to get the screw/pin that holds the brake pads in, ive tried to use an impact drill but im afraid of breaking something. Any suggests of what to do would be great!

2. Can you show us a photo of what you're looking at?
    Is it just a pin that holds the pads in, that might need a bit of WD40 or CRC 556 applied where it goes through the caliper body if it's corroded in place, then a tap with a pin punch and hammer.
    I'm assuming you've removed any circlip or split pin that holds it in place.

If it screws in, again some penetrating lubricant applied where it goes into and through the caliper body, leave for 30 mins than try removing with a well fitting screwdriver/spanner/socket.

3. Put the spanner on the bolt and start tapping it with the palm of your hand. Will act like an impact wrench but with less torque. Just remember lefty loosey. Works for oil drain bolts too.

4. The bolt has a slotted head. How do you attach a photo? Ahaha #newbie

5. Lel fail...

6. 121757208147_1_0_1.
    This isnt my brake caliper, but its the same one. The pin thats stuck on mine is the slotted one on the left of it.

7. You upload the photo to a photo sharing site like Flickr or Photobucket.
    Then you put a link to it in the Add Photo dialog, but you might need 10+ posts before you can add a photo.

8. Try the penetrating lubricant, but try not to get it on pads, dust boots and discs.
    Then you'll need a well fitting screwdriver, some screwdrivers have a hex section on the shank or head to put a spanner on for more power.
    Alternatively, a screwdriver bit on your socket set ratchet or breaker bar, if you can find a screwdriver bit that fits the screw well.

9. Great ideas! ill see what I can do

10. The bolt is out!!!!! Soooo excited! Arghh.
    I decided to have one last go with the impact driver and hey presto! Out she pops! Thanks all for your time :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Impact driver and aluminium alloy caliper and mount are not a great mix, but glad to hear you've got the bolt/screw out.
    Be careful with hitting/impact drivering cast alloy parts, very easy to crack and break the castings if you get carried away.

12. Yeah not a great mix ay? but I guess sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do... :p