Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake master cylinder

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Phildent, Dec 5, 2011.

1. HI and thanks for the forums..
    I have just removed the master cylinder and calipers on a vt 250 which has sat there in the rain for about 40 years( well, a long time anyway). Can anyone tell me, prior to fitting new kits in both, what is the best way to clean the master cylinder and calipers inside and out?. Is there some sort of spray, or something to soak them in to clean them up?.Thanks..Phil

2. Yes. Brake clean.
    Any good auto shop has it. Just get the stuff in a spray bottle. Like spray and wipe. No need for the expensive aerosol cans.
    Spray the cloth you will be using with it first.
    Not a bad idea to hang the cables up high and spray down those too. Few days to dry would be good.
    Remember to flush some brake fluid through it all when bleeding them.

3. Thanks Bretto...I have heard of the stuff, but wasn't sure this was what I needed.
    I shall get some now.
    Thanks for the prompt reply...Phil

4. If there is any pitting a kit won't fix it.

5. Thanks ibast...I agree, but have to clean them up and have a look first..if it's pitted then I'll have to re sleeve, but they are so grotty at the moment can't see a thing...
    Thanks for the reply...Phil