Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake lights

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by geeth, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I am not sure if this is normal or if I have an issue.
    When I got home from work I decided that I would make sure all my lights are working.

My brake light comes on only when i use the rear brake lever, but the front one doesn't turn on the light.

I know by using both brakes properly that I wont have an issue, but am simply wondering if this is normal or something that I need to get looked at.

2. Not normal at all, you should get it looked at (if you can't yourself).
    Perhaps its just wires that came undone or the switch buggered - I'd start fiddlng there and seeing whether the light turns on. The switch should be right where your brake lever is (its what makes the clicking noise when u pull the lever).
  3. It's a common light but each lever has a separate switch.
    Given your bike's a grey import I'd say it's just a build up of corrosion either inside the switch itself (on the contacts), or on the connector.

Edit: Oh and to fix start out by giving the connectors a light sand till they're clean and shiny. If the problem persists then take the switch unit apart and clean the contacts inside. Also check that they haven't eroded too far and can still touch when they're supposed to.
  4. Thanks.
    Will look into it.
  5. Well, I had a look the the wires and all the connections that I could get to are clean.
    Took the wires off the switch and completed the circuit and the light come on.
    So took the switch off gave it a little technical tap and light was intermittent.
    Fiddled with the wired where they connect to the switch and now it's working properly. I will check it when I get home from work to see if riding loosens the connection.

Do you think I should get a new switch anyway? It's about $30
  6. More than likely a simple sand of the contacts inside will have it working as good as new, but if you want to avoid the hassle spend the 30 bucks and buy a new one.

I had the same problem on my old grey-import 250, took all of 15 minutes to fix and was still working fine 3 years later. Oh and you might want to repair/replace the rear brake light switch as well, probably only a matter of time before it stops working as well.