Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake Light sensor/ pedal position

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mike9999, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hey all,

I know my brake light does work, but I checked today at what point did it turn on when i started braking. Turns out it only turns on when I really press hard on the rear brake pedal, and after maybe a quarter of the way through when pulling the front brake lever. This is no good; I'd rather have it turn on the instant I apply any form of pressure on the pedal or lever. My question is; how do I go about this? is there a brake light sensor somewhere which I can adjust?

On another note, I'd like to adjust my pedals so that my right foot rests just over the brake pedal in its "natural" position, rather than me having to apply tension in my ankle to keep my foot raised over the pedal (I like to have my foot over the brake at all times just in case). Are there any reasons I should not do this?

Thanks guys,

2. Umm... you should be riding with the ball of your feet anyway. That means 1/3 from your toes in. So you shouldn't be resting the R) foot on the foot break.

Anyway, the instruction to adjust the pedal break sensor is in the booklet manual.
  3. Yes, and you should also be scraping your knee through every corner :roll:.

The only downside to having your foot over the rear brake is the risk of accidently hitting it and locking the rear wheel. Personally I prefer to keep my foot to one side of the lever, moving it if necessary further back on the peg or over the pedal for a corner.
  4. There should be separate switches for both brakes.

Usually for the rear brake switch activates by a spring pulling on the switch mechanism when you operate the lever. The switch is usually mounted so that it can slide either closer or further from the lever which puts more or less tension on the spring when it operates, effectively causing the light to come on with either greater or less pressure. So try adjusting the switch position slightly further away from the lever (if any of that makes sense.

In relation to wanting to keep your foot always over the brake the obvious question is why. The rear brake doesn't do much in terms of braking, it's the front brak which does most of the stopping.

Are there reasons not to do this. Possibly. Unless a judicious use of rear is used you are going to end up sliding down the road. Having the pedal under your feet sounds like a possible recipe for stomping on it.
  5. The main reason we don't like you to have a foot over the rear brake is the same as having a finger or two over your front brake lever.
    Adrenalin is a rush and it's quick. You need that fraction of a second for the rush in a panic to pass. Other wise your just going to apply to much pressure and lock a wheel. Then you will have to get off the brakes and reapply them.
    @ 100kmp/h your are crossing the ground @ 44m roughly per second. Re-applying the brakes takes up a lot of room.
    To really stop a bike quick is not jamming the brakes on. It's a constant progressive squeeze of the front brake and a modulation of the rear. And body positioning. If you flop over the front your braking will suck.
    What your doing is a bad habit and an easy one to brake lol no pun intended. Daffy feet mate. Heels in and toes out. It will take a week of conscious application for it to feel normal. There's lots of hero's who ride a road bike like a dirt or track bike. Seems to me if they need to do that they really don't trust their reflex's or braking skills that much.
    Sorry your riding habit worried me more than the question. If you follow the brake pedal back you will see the brake switch attached to the spring from the brake lever. And see that it is on a thread with an adjuster nut on it. Turn the nut anti clockwise to raise the brake switch to activate your brake light sooner.
  6. Ok, I've adjusted the brake light switch so that it turns on the second I apply any pressure on it...can't believe it was set so insensitive in the first place!

Thankyou all for the advice regarding my right foot position, I really appreciate it and am taking it all on board! After adjusting the brake light today (instructions were in the service manual...*facepalm*...although had to look up the manual online as it didn't come with the bike) I went for a ride and tried to experiment with having the ball of my foot on the footpegs and also riding "Daffy" style...and you're right, it does take some getting used to, but now is the right time to iron out all my noob habits!

Just a quick question regarding pedal position, hornet in your pedal thread that you linked before, you said about the brake pedal:

Is that foot position you've just described only an indicator of a good pedal position? Or is it that position (foot rests naturally on top of brake pedal) where you'd also put your foot when you ride? Coz if it is then I am one confused noob! 8-[

Thanks again everyone for your feedback:)

7. What I said about adjusting the pedal so your foot is in its 'natural' position is based on my contention that you should have your toes 'poised' over the brake pedal at all times, as you probably should have a finger or two ready for the front brake as well. Suggesting that this could cause you to have an accident is urban myth at least, if not bad advice. You should read Robsalvv's thread on the back brake and its proper use!

Talking through a tap on my Galaxy S!
  8. What utter rubbish. You panic, so everyone else should slow their reaction times by having to move their feet before they can brake hard.
    This the street we're talking about here, not trying to get around PI.

9. Ok, it looks like opinion is divided on this one....and my poor noob self is still confused as to where my feet should be. I asked the instructors at honda when I did their Learner to License course today (was really good btw) and they said to keep the feet "daffy" style and to move your R foot over the brake when needed; their reasoning was that if the foot is over the brake, it will have a tendency to mash it in an emergency, instead of smooth application. I think this is what jd explained above.

But then again...

I guess what I've really learned is there might not be a 'right' and 'wrong' way to do this...as a learner you really want to get your hands on some black and white knowledge, and get told "THIS is how do you it. Period". Not sure if that will happen as this seems to be a somewhat contentious issue!

Thanks everyone for the responses, i think the discussion is as beneficial, if not more so, than any concrete answer...
  10. Yep. Especially if you're used to driving cars or switch often between car and bike. Can be hard to shake the habit of right foot = brake.

In an emergency your priority should be in setting up and appyling the front brakes. The rear can afford to wait the fraction of a second it takes to move your foot from wherever you might choose to put it. As for Hornet's suggestion about adjusting the pedal, if I set mine to just below where my foot naturally rests I'd be left with only about 2mm of pedal travel.
  11. I use L) foot for break and R) for gas in my automatic car :eek:.

Then again, there's nothing right or wrong because everything you do is based on personal opinions. However, I tend to ride with ball-of-feet is because of my bike's configuration/design. I wouldn't try to ride the same way on a cruiser...
  12. Well after about a week of riding and around 500km, I've kinda settled onto a right foot position that is comfortable...a position that is sort of between ball-of-foot and daffy style, so to apply the brakes i move it in and forward, but just a little. Although in heavy traffic or when i'm expecting trouble i find my foot hovering over the brake! Not sure about that habit but I'm learning to rely on front brake more anyway
  13. One of my pet hates is people who do this and leave their left foot covering the brake so that the brake light is always on. You never know when they're stopping.
  14. having a foot ready to brake if necessary is better than having NOTHING ready to brake; your foot will be there while your fingers are still getting into position...