Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake light not working

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by aimre, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Hey all,

I just noticed my brake light on my bandit aint working, the rear brake lights it up, but the front doesn't, i can hear the switch clicking, and if n e thing, it looks like the light dims slightly when i press the front brake. Where do i start looking? :mad:

2. Just 'cause it's clicking doesn't mean it's doing anything ;).
    Step 1 - Disconnect the switch and check the plug and contacts aren't corroded, if they are sand them till shiny
    Step 2 - Check the resistance across the switch with a multimeter and see if it changes (if you don't have a multimeter, buy one - you can get digital ones for less than 10 bucks). If there's no change in resistance then you'll need to take the switch apart and clean the contacts inside, or buy a new one.

3. This seems familiar :p

I had this issue less then a week again, did what jd said pretty much and it got fixed.

I worked at the contacts with a thin blade since I had no sand paper, then touched them together and the light worked. So took the switch off and attached the wires, it was a little hit and miss but after pushing the wires in it worked all the time and then I gave them a little squeeze with the pliers because they with loose. 300 kms later and its still fine.

4. If the wires are corroded, you really should be cutting the plugs off at a suitable length until the corrosion can no longer be seen, otherwise it will return and will do the same job.

5. Check the contacts (as above) to the switch if they are fine, then its probable the switch. I replaced one recently

10 minutes work at the most.