Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake light bulb- Can I up the wattage for a brighter tail light??

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Darren96, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I have a quick query. My brake light bulb just died and need to buy a new bulb. The current one in there has this written on the side: 12V23/8WB. I assume this means it's a 12V 8Watt bulb but not sure about the rest. The local shop only has 12V 5Watt bulbs and was hoping that if anything I can up the wattage to 10W or maybe even more for a brighter tail light and brake light?? Is this possible? Thanks guys

2. 12V23/8WB most likely means 23W for the brake light and 8W for tail light. ( Two filaments in one bulb and two "dimples on the bottom). You need to get one that performs both functions. You should be able to get one at the garage or automotive store.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Thanks for the reply, I know I need one with 2 filaments and that's fine, I can find them easy enough. But the only bulbs I have found locally say 5W intead of 8W on them and was wondering if I can up these wattages to make the tail light and brake light brighter
  4. You only mentioned finding a 5W ( which is the tail light) but not the wattage of the brake light. So I am assuming you have found a 5/21W bulb that should get you going again. You can order 8/23W on ebay from O/S if you want the same as in bike. Going up a couple of watts should not make any difference (other than brightness). Could also look at some of the newer brighter LED tail/brake light bulbs to see if they fit.
  5. Are LED bulbs better/brighter if you get the right one for the taillight/brake light?
  6. I've got an LED one in my DR650... it's not bad but I dunno if it's any brighter. It does come on faster due to being an LED and having minimal "persistence".
  7. They can be and they also have the advantage of getting to full brightness more instantaneously than an incandescent globe, this allow a tiny bit longer time for reaction from those following you.