Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

brake fluid

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Filo01, Nov 13, 2007.

1. I'm just wandering if i could top up my brake fluid with normal car brake fluid? is it safe to mix the fluids(no idea what kind of fuild i have in there atm)?

2. I wouldn't do it, some brake fluids wreck when mixed together. Brakes are pretty important if I was you I'd definately bleed/replace my fluid with proper fluid

3. More than likely your bike would be using a DOT4 brake fluid so you could probably top it up with DOT4 car brake fluid without any problems. However given that brake fluid needs to be changed fairly regularly anyway (ie at least every 2 years) the best, and safest, option would be to change the lot.

4. yah i'm trying to steer clear of changing all the brake fluid till i get my braided brake lines in, it's just such a big job :(. i guess i'll dump some dot4 or 3 in there ty.

5. if it's the same rating / compound (eg DOT 4) then you should be fine. To be safe though, just flush through the lot. brake fluid is cheap, and you'll only use at most 150mls doing a full flush of a dual line system. very easy to do, as long as you keep the resevoir topped up so you don't introduce air into the lines.

I tend to flush my brake fluid every 3 months or so - brake fluid is cheap, it's an easy job, and i tend to abuse my brakes practicing stoppies.

Phil

6. What's this shit? BIKE specific brake fluid BS now????
    DOT 4 is DOT 4. You can mix brands.
    Jesus christ.............

Regards, Andrew.

7. Changing brake fluid is not a big job, it's piss easy with the right tool...and by right tool I mean PVC tubing.

8. +1
    Its the same stuff forchrisake.
    K

9. And gravity, plus brake fluid with a picture or silhouette of a motorbike on it, at twice regular retail for DOT 4 fuid, coz it's "bike" DOT 4...........
    :roll:
    Regards, Andrew.

10. Exactly - takes about 15 minutes and costs all of 8 bucks. Of course just make sure the existing fluid isn't blue before whacking in DOT3/4 ;).

11. All DOT 4 fluids are compatible, it is the one of teh standards of DOT 4. Being a critical fluid, it is important.
    Manufacturers use different dyes in their fluids, and this is teh only difference.
    Some of us, who have bled brakes more times than we've had birthdays, specifically use a different coloured fluid when doing a brake flush, to ensure complete removal of teh old fluid.
    The only fluid not compatible with DOT 4 is Silicone DOT 5, and you won't find that on anything short of a race bike (ie, it's not an issue). I've never seen it on teh shelves.

Regards, Andrew.

12. Just for general know-how and well-being of the universe, Canberra MC stocks DOT 5.

13. And DOT 5 is the one that's typically blue (never seen it any other colour). If you've never seen it on the shelves you aren't looking hard enough or in the right places - some cars run it as standard so it's hardly exotic anymore. In fact it's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect the sorts of people often attracted to CBRs to use as a "performance mod" (much like the owners of riced-up hatchbacks).

14. Dont do it.

I just had to replace my master cylinder after what looks like either massive neglect or wrong fluids mixed or maybe something else

I was out on a ride and almost 100k's from home and my rear failed to work. The Master Cyl looks like it was full of glue/sludge.

I bought the bike in August and have only done 2500 due to haveing a company car now for work.Never thought of pulling it all apart before buying her.

aV1aWhf0.

15. Probably because some previous owner forgot Harleys run DOT5 standard - being the high-performance, track only, race machines that they are.

16. Then there's DOT 5.1, which is DOT 4 compatible but has a higher boiling point... :p

17. DOT 5 (Silicon) is less hydroscopic than DOT 4 or 5.1 meaning that it is less susceptible to absorbing water.

This means you can leave the fluid in the system for longer periods without needing a change.

I doubt you'll find many race bikes using Dot 5.

18. Yawn. Dot 5 is used in performance applications because it has a MUCH higher boiling point and does not absorb moisture, giving a more consistent brake feel and repeatable brake performance.
    Seriously, of you people are going to try this silly one upmanship game every time, get your facts straight.
    Oh and JD, you're a fcukwit. Sorry.

Regards, Andrew.

19. :? Ian, why wouldn't race bikes use Dot5 if it's less hydroscopic than Dot4 or 5.1 ??

Typhoon, just what about JD's post are you correcting with your last post? :?

So let me get this right. I can top up Dot3 with Dot4 or Dot 5.1 BUT NOT Dot5 because it's totally silicon based. And there's no difference between brake fluids marketed specifically at a vehicle sector so long as they have the same dot rating?

Yes?

20.  Top