Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

brake fluid

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Noel, Nov 26, 2004.

1. I have a Suzuki dr650 new. The front brake fluid level indicator, on the right handlebar, looks like a little circle glass window like many bikes. There is an air bubble in the circle window that sits high up in the circle window. Is this air bubble the fluid level? because the a couple of motorbikes at my workplace have the same little circle plastic window except there ones are filled up with a brown fluid and you can clearly see the fluid LEVEL of the fluid in the little window. now my rear brake fluid is Clear and it is very hard to see the line when you look at the fluid resevoir container...but ...I definately can't see any kind of clear fluid line in the front resevior....only an air bubble... please help me

2. I have the same problem... My baby zzr looks to be empty, but brakes seem to be working fine.

Should there be fluid in window just like the oil window?

The PUP, ZZR250 PUP, of course.
  3. the bike shop said, today, that the fluid changes to a brown colour after a while and you will be able to see the level when it does. And that the air bubble is normal and means there's something in there.
    After thinking it through in my own head, I somehow think this is non-sense. Why would the unused brake fluid in the resevoir change colour at all - it's not like oil which I can understand.
  4. Nonsense. Do you know how to bleed the brakes yourself? Give that a crack, and then leave the reservoir covered with the brake lever cable tied shut overnight. Most of the air bubles in the line work their way out of the top overnight.