Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake fluid level

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by NathansIntruder, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Hi Guys!
    Just got my licence! First open road ride today - stoked!
    But have noticed that while standing my brake fluid level is low but when parked on the kickstand it is full. Which is the correct reading?

2. When standing upright, the normal riding position, so your fluid is probably low. Congratulations on your licence. :)
  3. Thanks Mate! will refill!
  4. Good on you for passing, mate.
    Just make sure it's the correct brake fluid, either mineral, DOT 4 or DOT 5.

Not trying to teach you how to 'suck eggs' or anything...
  5. Nah its all good thanks Mick, I have dot 4 and it needs dot 4 so Im covered, thanks anyway
  6. if it is low, check how much brake pad you have left before refilling
    reservoir should be full with new brake pads, and will get low when pads are worn (more fluid goes into caliper)
  8. And when you fit new pads the "lost" fluid will return to the reservoir so if additional fluid has been added it may overflow. If there are no leaks, and the level is not excessively low, it is probably best left.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Michael, how long does brake fluid typically last? KMs wise or years wise.. also I would imagine it also depends on how often and hard/soft you are breaking...

I am having a similar reading with my brake fluid (front). It is showing SLIGHTLY under the 'lower' mark on my 2011 CBR250R. I will check the brake pads tonight and if they need changing I will do it myself before topping up/bleeding the current fluid.
  10. It is best to replace brake fluid at least every couple of years, especially since it is so easy to do on a bike.
    The problem is that the stuff absorbs water from the atmosphere and maybe gets contaminated when bike is in rain or washed. The result is corrosion of internal parts and poor braking performance under extreme conditions.
    If anyone has a bike with an unknown brake fluid change history best to change asap as a precaution (after checking brake pad thickness!). Do not overfill and only use fresh fluid from an unopened container.

It is not safe riding a bike with fluid below the Min mark. That reservoir is transparent and visible so that you can check it daily before you ride.
  11. Thanks Michael. I recently purchased the bike. Has had the 1000km service at the dealership by original and only owner, missed the 6k service and its now on 12k. I've already replaced Oil, oil filter and air filter, cleaned and lubed chain which was horrid.

Will look at doing the brakes and brake fluid. Cheers :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sounds like you are getting to know your bike NatG, Good one.

Have you got a workshop manual? If you don't an internet search will probably find one which is downloadable. Just read through the relevant section before you start.
  13. Hi Michael,

Thank you. Figured I may as well learn and cut the servicing costs :) No I am actually on the hunt for a service manual. All the ones I've found online want $$ :( But I suppose I'll have to end up buying one in the end.
  14. 2011 CBR250R

I would definitely be replacing the brake fluid on this. Unless noted in any service records you may have, it's quite likely that it's never been done since the bike was new. 4-5 year old fluid is well past its best-before date. Not hard to do either.
  15. Cheers. Yeah I think I'll just do both fluid and pads. May as well !
    • Like Like x 1
  16. One question. Do I change the brake pads FIRST? Or bleed brake fluid and top up THEN do brake pads?
  17. Pads first. Until you fit the full thickness pads you will not know how much fluid to add. However, make sure you spill no fluid on the new pads, disc or anything else. Fir a piece of clear plastic tubing to the brake nipple and feed all waste fluid into a container for disposal. Do not reuse.

Caution, do not over tighten the bleed screw, just nip it up. You will find many videos on line if you are unsure.
  18. Hi Michael,

You're a legend! I just wrote up a lengthy post. I've watched a handful of videos, pretty confident in terms of flushing the fluid etc but was just confused as to which one I do first. Flush and replace fluid OR brake pads.. so thanks for commenting. Not wanting to be annoying but could you run your eyes over my post and let me know i've ticked off all the boxes? :) :)