Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake Fluid Colour

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Conorkc, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Hello All,

Just a quick Question. I have noticed that over the past few weeks that my Brake fluid has been getting Darker in Colour. What can cause this and is it normal. The bike is a Honda CBR500R, 2014 with a little under 6,000 km. Pic of the brake fluid resivoir below.

Attached Files:

2. Exposure to sunlight seems to make it go darker as does age and picking up crud.
    Does you bike stay out in the weather?
    I wouldn't be overly concerned at only 6000Kms and no real age to speak of.

If you're worried about it, just replace it. It's not a hard job if you take you time, just make sure you don't get any air in the system or you'll have to bleed it out. If the bike has ABS and you get air in the system it's a trip on the trailer to the dealer unless you have the interface module to access the ABS control so you can pump the actuators.
  3. Hi @Dark Angel@Dark Angel, Thanks for the fast reply. It sits under a Balcony in front of my flat most of the time, so it is out of direct sunlight & weather. It is an ABS model alright and while I have replaced Fluid on both my old bike and cars in the past, I have never done this on an ABS model. Thanks for giving me the heads up with regards to getting air in the system!
  4. Our wonderful fancy technology can sometimes add issues, especially for a home mechanic. For example, the EFI on my bike means I need to use a compatible OBD device just to set the idle or the balance the throttle bodies. It's all great when it works, but when you need to work on things it can be a real pain in the arse.
  5. pffft! Mines been black for years.
  6. Colour matters little and there are variations between brands and types.
    Follow the mfgrs recommendations and flush and replace the fluid at the suggested intervals ( usually every 2 years ).

If you want a better feeling brake, change the brake lines to the SS braided type ie. Hel, Galfer etc