Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake disc problem

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Maxx, Aug 17, 2006.

1. The little section I have highlighted in red is loose - can rotate it really easily - how much of a problem is this and is it easy/cheap to repair??

http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=disc002nz3.jpg

2. Those are all meant to be a little bit loose. They are the bobbins that allow your "floating disk" to "float".

If one of them is a lot more loose than the others they could be wearing. Maybe at the next pad change you might consider replacing the set, but I'd ask someone with experience to have a quick look first.

3. This may be an elementary question, and I appologise for hijacking this thread, but how do I get rid of brake squeel? Theres still meat on the pads and the disc is not warped - oh and its the rear.

Thanks,

Mo

4. The pic I took is of the front disc. It was squeeking at about 40-60kph and couldn't figure out why. When I found this part loose I applied a little WD40 to it, and the squeek has gone. Is this OK?

Are you saying that all these parts should be moveable and easy to turn??

5. Most discs are 'semi-floating': they have a wave washer-type spring behind the button to stop movement. If the spring wears or breaks or has been removed, the button will be 'rattly'- ie, full floating, with the disc free to move side-to-side relative to the disc carrier. Racers like their discs to be like this: it allows the disc to move so the pads clamp it evenly.

It's probbaly not desirable to have the disc fully floating at only one point, but you might be up for a new disc, and therefore a pair of discs, to replace it. It's unlikely to be a big problem though, and you can put up with it.

Motard, brake squeal is usually just pad dust drying everything out. Use brake cleaner in a can (nasty stuff- be careful in handling it) or even soapy water and a small brush to clean your calipers and they should quiet down. Some pads (esp cheap pads without sintered metal) produce more dust than others are thus lead to squeaky-squealy noises.

6. Thanks for the info... guess I can stop worrying.

Maybe I should WD40 all of them so I have full floating race brakes :)

Kidding...

7. Thanks for the info Heinz.

8. A little advice.... Generaly speeking... any lubricant near brakes is a NO NO!!

For these who will argue this... yes there are parts of the calipers which need to be greaced BUT if you don't know what they are get some one who KNOWS to do it!!

Brakes work on friction hance ANY lubricant that may find it self in between the disk and the pad makes them useless!!

9. True lord... cleanliness is better than greasiness.