Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake disc getting rusty.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by loth, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Help!
    My rear brake disc (the round metal thing that the brake pads squeeze on to slow the bike down, I think) are getting rusty! Any suggestions of how to get rid of it?

2. ride more!!!!!

they only rust from sitting, and the material that the rotor is made from will rust.
    either that or you arent using it when you do ride ;)

if you are talking about the faces of the rotor that the pads squeeze on to perform braking, get some of the brakeclean stuff and give them a gentle clean.
    if it is the surfaces that do not perform the braking, give it a clean with some fine steel wool or similar.
  3. Use the rear brake more :grin:
  4. You could lube them up with oil so they dont rust

Please dont take that seriously
  5. also could be that the disk needs to be machined cause of uneven wear
  6. Be grateful it IS rusting; it means that it's made of steel that will give some grip when you use it, rather than pretty stainless steel that won't. Just use the rear brake; don't believe all these rossi-wannabes who say 'oh, I never use the rear brake'; the manufacturers have to pay to make 'em. The wouldn't be putting them on the bike if they thought you didn't need them....

And DON'T take slow-suzuki's post seriously, he was being silly and irresponsible :LOL:.
  7. :rofl:

slow_suzuki got his first finger-shakin' from hornet! :p