Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Brake caliper rebuild. How much $$$

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by J Gray, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Well one of my front calipers on the zx2r is leaking from the piston. How much am i looking at to have it rebuilt? And is it the kind of thing I can do myself? Im handy but never done much brakes besides pad and disc replacement before.

2. man this is where the grey import is probably going to really bite you in the arse.

Usually you just order a kit from your local dealer. A couple of days later you hand over 10s of $ and do it yourself at home.

You are going to have to get your kits imported and wait and take the Vasalene come payment time (probably up front).

The job itself is quite easy. It's just a few bolts and some patience.

3. Caliper

As it's an import, I'd probably pick one up from a wreckers. Heaps easier than trying to source parts that may not be available.

4. Re: Caliper

Yep, or see if the caliper is the same as that used on another bike that was sold here (checking bikes which use the same pads is a good start).

5. i enquired for seals for my mates zxr250 from a kawa dealer. piston seal was 14each and the dust seal was about 12 from knowledge.
    The front caliper on a 1989 zxr250 is the same as the rgv rear caliper, but might not be the same amongst all models

6. Thanks Natta.

7. Any idea if the part numbers are common between all Kawasaki models? If so, all you need to do is get hold of the parts fiche & cross referance the part numbers at your local dealer. I do exactly this for my grey import VFR400 and its surprising how much stuff is available.
    Failing that, give Yuki from Southern cross sports in Heidelberg a ring. I buy all the stuff I can't get from him at pretty good prices and most times faster delivery times than the local dealers. All this shit about not being able to get parts and being reamed for them is exactly that -shit.