Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bought my first bike yesterday!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by BodenM, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Hi all,
    Yesterday I bought my first ever motorcycle, a 2002 BMW F650CS! Started the day off with a 2:30am departure from home, bike trailer in tow, and driving from Brisbane to Rockhampton (I don't know how truckies can manage the sheer amount of idiots doing 20-30km/h under the limit on flat, reasonable smooth country roads for no apparent reason!). Got into Rockhampton around 9:30, met with the seller, after a quick satisfactory test ride and some negotiation, it became mine for the princely sum of $3100. It does need a touch of cosmetic attention in places (windscreen is crazed a touch, rails around the stuff bay are cracked (they all do that) and its a bit dusty), but nothing mechanical and/or major. All that's left to do now is register and insure it and then I can ride it :D

Mandatory pics of the bike
    (Seat is just off for the battery tender being hooked up)

Bonus photos of the fog in the valley between Gympie and Gin Gin:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  2. Nice work, quite a hike to collect your first bike, but looks like you got a good score.

Now you can go and update your profile from:
    None yet :(
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. congrats :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Congrats on the beemer Boden! I bet you are itching to take her out for a ride :)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Nice little cheap fun project.
    Did you get the washing basket as part of the deal? Would hsve been the sealer lol
    Bet you are itching for a ride ( know the feeling).
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. #6 BodenM, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Haha you bet, I'm champing at the bit to get out and ride, although if I did take it out I don't think Mr Plod would be too appreciative of it being unregistered :LOL:

Nah I had to pay extra for the washing basket :ROFLMAO:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Congratulations ... sounds as if you are going to have a lot of fun preping then riding this bike ... ENJOY =D
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Congrats...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Congratulation on your new to you bike. One of the best experience, your first bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Nice. Not many of these around so you have the satisfaction of riding something relatively rare. From memory these are also one of the most economical bikes on the market while still having a modicum of performance.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Congratulations, BodenMBodenM! It looks great in gold, very classy.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yup, that's a good part of the reason why I bought it, I like riding and driving things that are a little different to the norm. And yeah, performance is pretty decent, certainly no shortage of power/torque on tap from the understressed engine, should handily embarrass the usual 250/300cc LAMS bikes haha.
    Yeah, although not a fan of the blue seat and how the colour clashes with the rest of the bike so that's going away pronto to be replaced by a custom single seat in black or grey, going to see if I can get my hands on a solo seat with rear storage box from an F650GS and make that fit onto my bike.
  14. Yeah, blue is quite an outsider choice for a motorcycle seat; I suppose they thought it contrasted the gold nicely or something. I also saw the other photos you posted to /r/motorcycles; it really is a nice-looking bike - the gold looks different again in sunlight.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Haha you should see the inverse option, blue with orange seat and also with orange side inserts, it's rather garish :p
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Congratulations. What's under the HD cover though?
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Nice choice for a first timer.
    It has all the good gear to give you a taste for many years of pleasant riding.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Was waiting for someone to ask that haha. It's dad's '08 H-D Electra Glide Ultra Classic, the anniversary edition one. I didn't realise until we brought my bike home but when we did we realised that our bikes are almost the same colour haha.
  19. Good one. Welcome to the great world of motorcycling. You're going to have fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Congratulations, that is a nice bike! If you do convert to single seat, do not forget to register it as such, it will save you a packet!
    • Like Like x 1