Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bose QuietComfort 20 Noise Cancelling Headphones Review

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by NetriderBot, Sep 8, 2013.

1. The new Bose QuietComfort 20 headphones or earbuds are amazing ... under most conditions.

Throw the switch and most of the external sounds are immediately hushed.

When riding a motorcycle, however, the system only dampens noise to about the same level as a good pair of disposable ear plugs.

The Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones don't seem to work as well with some types of noise.

These include short-duration loud noises like the rapid-fire "pop pop pop" of a motorcycle exhaust.

Some of the helmet wind noise and even voices aren't attenuated as much as we'd like also.

The wires at either end of the thin battery are permanently attached.

This design makes it very difficult or impossible to feed the wire through the headphone ports installed on some motorcycle jackets; a male/female mini-jack extender is necessary.

Fitting headphones (as Bose refers to them) or earbuds under a motorcycle helmet is always a problem also and the silicone tips of the Bose QC20 system don't fit very deeply in the ear canal.

Thus, care must be taken to keep the in-ear headphones in place as the helmet is placed on the head.

For motorcycle use, the combination of the noise cancellation feature and the sound quality of the Bose QuietComfort 20 headphones provides a better environment for listening to music while riding than any other earbuds we've tried. But $300 is a lot to spend, no doubt about that.

more ยป

2. #2 Pterodactyl, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Yes they are. Kills the majority of wind noise, engine becomes a buzz that is more vibration than noise (CB1100 with standard can not loud anyway), and a bit spooky at first having to cue throttle/gear with vastly different sensory inputs. I keep them for highway cruising as I like to devote myself to what's happening around me in traffic and the twisties ("Danger Zone" at full bore might make me feel better than I am :) ). Ear buds comfortable and stay in place. The model I use is the QC20i and I bought them on first day of Oz release. They have my recommendation.

Must give a plug to the people at Bose Sydney City Westfield. Both Michael and Taylor exercised great patience as I gave them the full "old fart tire kicking routine".

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sorry for the thread mine but how do these go as far as call quality goes? i have the uclear bt system and although its great for receiving calls i find it rubbish for music.

4. Call quality!? I'm assuming you meant music quality. They are extremely good and rated very highly, for noise cancelling in ear units. You can do better, quite, when it comes to earphones. But not for noise cancelling under helmet. If the price of the Bose's are outside the budget, Monoprice 10799's are considered a close second place. Enhanced Active Noise Cancelling Earphones - Black - Monoprice.com

5. Yep call quality. I understand they are primarily a music listening head phone and not designed for motorcycle riding but people are using them this way. My current blue tooth setup on my helmet is great for calls as people say they can't hear any wind noise when talking but absolute ass for listening to music let alone blocking wind noise (noise cancelling only on mic).

Reason why I ask about call quality is because I'm looking for something that is good for music with a decent mic for phone calls. At the moment it looks like I can only have one or the other.