Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Boots with good ankle support

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Comrade, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi All,

Getting my gear together and trying to decide on boots.

I tried the A* smx-5 and Sidi vertigo, both super comfy boots but in my opinion a bit lacking in ankle support (rolling).

I'm after a boot with good ankle support that is also comfy off the bike. Not planning on running marathons in them but something i can walk around in for a bit.

Read a couple of reviews about the A* smx-R having better support but i haven't been able to try on a pair yet. Also read the smx plus has great ankle support but isn't as comfy to walk around in (and apparently they squeaks heaps). Another Thread on netrider also recommended Dainese Torque.

Being a newbie, will be riding local and eventually commuting a couple of times a week to work.

your thoughts/experiences?

2. The more ankle support they have, the less comfortable they will be to walk in generally.

I have some Oxtar boots with the TCS thing, basically torsion bars around the ankle, very supportive, but terrible to walk in.
  3. Aah, you have this one: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-boots/oxtar/

I'm using this TCS: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/tcx-ss-performance-2-boots/

Good support, light-weight. Less ideal for walking around than my "Setup Grand Prix". Or mebbe my the TCXes just need more walking around to wear them in!
  4. Yep, those are the ones. Great on the bike, terrible for walking in!
  5. Thanks Guys.

Looks like i might have to find some middle ground between comfort and support. Another trip down to the shops is in order :)
  6. A* Supertechs - excellent ankle support - excellent to walk in - you'll pay $$$$ for them though
  7. Thanks Holster!

I didn't even consider them until now. Will try some on this weekend and see if ebay/google machine can come up with a bargain somewhere in the world.