Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Boots = Should the soles be really stiff vs bendable

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Swaine, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Hi

I have noticed some boots have very stiff soles, sort of like strapping your feet onto a small piece of metal vs other bike boots that like normal shoes will bend or arch.

Reasoning: a shop said to me that on longish rides your feet will arch over the foot pedals and become very sore. As opposed to the very firm soled shoes that obviously will seat dead straight on the footpetal hour after hour.

2. I think that, like many things, it depends. It depends on your bike, ride style, weight and how you are in your body. Some people will like hard soles, others won't, like me. My boots have soles that allow me to walk comfortably, and which allow me to feel the pegs. Yet they aren't like soft shoe soles, which would be too soft.

I use Gaerne G.IKE boots, in Black. Their soles are reasonably hard but do bend just behind the ball of the foot.
  3. I have TCX boots,

They have a fair bit of plastic armour around them, however the plastic armour is kinda interlaced with itself. That makes it fairly flexable to walk in.

however the sole is the same as Toast said.
    for me, after about an hour to hour and a half my feet tend to get a little sore.

But I just pull ova, do a couple of stretches around the bike, and hop back on. Altho being a Learner, that could contribute to bad riding posture.
  4. Peeps who ride barefoot or with thongs will appreciate the truth in that. Same same with anyone who has experience with landing jumps or hitting f-off-massive pot holes, your foot can wrap around the peg to point of failure, hence MX boots having soles that would make yours look ridiculously pliable in comparison. It's all relative.