Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Bravus, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I've had two pairs of the R-Jays 'Speed 2' boots, after a pair of the original 'Speed' boots. They're an ankle-high lace-up thing, and I wear them all day every day. First pair of Speed 2s lasted until I wore holes in the soles, current pair the upper tore away from the sole on one not long after they were run in.

Looking for something different - it should be wearable every day, and because I have beefy calves I run into trouble with anything over ankle height.

Had a look at the Shift 'Fuel' boot, which is a similar kind of thing, but not really a fan of the velcroed strap closure across the laces.

I'm also wondering whether a quality hiking boot mightn't get the job done for my purposes. It'd still be leather. Maybe not quite the ankle protection plates in the side, but it's for commuting and sitting in the office, not track days...

2. [​IMG]

These are the Speed 2
  3. And these are the Fuel

4. I've got the shifts, use them for commuting and work. Aside from being fairly bulky and not offering much "feel" through your feet they're a decent boot. Ankle protection could be better, but they're not wearing very quickly.
  5. [​IMG]

I've got a pair of these in black. Great boot, but you said you didnt like the velcro across the laces? I've had part of my lace lost in the chain once when I didnt velcro it in properly, so figured the velcro strap was a good thing.

I find them comfortable enough to wear all day.
  6. Yeah, those do look good, might have to dig them up.

I don't hate the velcro strap itself, just not a fan of how it looks on the Fuel boots above.

The Speeds have velcro on the tongue that does nothing useful but just snags the crap out of the laces.
  7. I use tracerlite security boots frikkin comfortable and lightweight

8. I've just gotten a pair of A* smx-1's shortys. Highly recommended! Especially with summer upon us, as they're vented.

Too bad mine is now a size bigger since breaking in :(
  9. Those Taichi ones are seksi, as are the Tracerlites, in a different way.
  10. Just to wrap up the story, ended up picking up a pair of these: http://www.theathletesfoot.com.au/Consumer/Find-Shoes/Search/Products/ALPHABLK

*Very* comfortable. They're a bit taller/chunkier in the top of the foot than the old ones, so I have to make a bit more of a move to get under the gearstick, but they definitely get the job done, and give lots of support.

I forgot to mention earlier that, since I wear them all day every day, including to things like graduation ceremonies, they can't be too lairy on the visible bits under jeans (black jeans for formal, heh).

Anyway, I'm happy with what I ended up with.
  11. Got them at The Athlete's Foot, which wasn't what I was expecting, but it worked. Had gone to Ray's Outdoors, but they didn't have the cool ones in stock, and the ones they had were all dodgy for one reason or another.
  12. Wow. The sole looks VERY thick in the picture, the main thing about the shifts was getting under the gear lever, what bike are you riding?
  13. Bandit 1200. It's definitely doable, I just have to point my toes like a ballerina. ;-)
  14. I've got a pair of the Shift Fuel's on order from the sates currently, will let u know how they go if you're interested?