Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Boots for hiking and biking?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by fizmotech, Aug 5, 2008.

1. I love bush walking. Can anyone recommend me some boots I can use for bushwalking that will be ok on a bike? I only do 70km max roads so dont need full on bike boots.

Should I go proper hiking boots?

2. You're gonna get flamed by the anti-squid, "if you don't wear the latest armoured bike specific gear you'll die horribly" brigade :wink: .

If your walking boots are all leather (uppers) with decently thick soles firmly attached (which I'd expect in a reasonable quality hiking boot) and can't be pulled off without being unlaced, I'd say go for it.

You'll have at least as much foot and ankle protection as pukka bike boots gave up until maybe 15-20 years ago when all the articulated armour started to become available and was adopted by anyone other than racers/wannabe racers. Funnily enough, most of us wot didn't immediately rush out and buy the new technology can still walk. Some of us even without a permanent limp :wink: .

3. Long army boots are used by a lot of people, me I strap my Scarpas on the bike.,

4. I found hiking boots too slippery on wet roads when I put a foot down to stop.
    Surprised me as I've never slipped when hiking.
    Even a cheapy pair of bike boots were better.
    Now I have a pair of lightweight hiking shoes I put in my rackbag and I change into them.

5. yeah wish i could do that. but need proper hiking boots for places i go.

what brand u have that were slippery? i suppose its possible if really hard rubber, but never had a problem on tarmac before. i guess roads have greese on them too, but any shoe will slip in that.

6. yes you do

7. timberland.

8. Told ya :p .

9. and why? your saying hiking boots wont stand up to 70km off? i have fallen off at 70km on my trail bike before with no issues, admittedly onto metal not tarmac. have fallen out of a car at 60km no issue with no protection. fallen off my skateboard at about 45km with no protection, no issue.

obviouslly the risk i would be taking is the bike crushing my ankle with no ankle caps, rather painful, a long recovery, but life is a risk.

70km would be the absolute max and only a very very short part of my trips, majority 60km.

i know a lot of people are ultra protective, and i respect that, but low speed offs is a risk i am willing to take for the convenience of having a life.

obviouslly i wouldnt be doing this on the highways. and its not like im suggesting wearing sneakers. all im asking is, are there dual sport boots that will work with hiking and biking and if not will the hiking boots stand up to a low speed off (ie wont come off).

seems issues i face are more around the grip of soles.

i know some of the gaerne or sidi boots might suit, will look into that.

thanks all.

10. "I've jumped off a cliff and survived, everybody else should listen to me and do as I say."

I'll take my full length purpose riding boots thanks. Then for hiking I'll wear my hiking shoes. They're both built with a purpose in mind. However - they're your feet, mistreat them as you will.

11. lmao, what emotive and irrelevant response.

forums are a funny place, why get so worked up over it. i think in fact that post shows your the one following other peoples lead, not i.

keep it on topic please. im looking for some advice from people who have used dual sport boots before, or hiking boots which are ok at these speeds.

12. I was wearing my old combat boots on the bike, but found the sole was a bit too thick and cumbersome...switched over to my 12 year old 8-up Doc M's, they were bloody comfy on the bike but the age and wear of the leather concerned me.
    Now i've got myself a pair of Thor 50/50 boots, my feet feel alot more secure in these. Granted they dont have the protection of a full length armoured boot, but after the initial wear-in i find them very comfortable wearing them around at work all day.

13. If you do go with hiking boots you will have to compromise a lot if you want protection. But as I said get some that offer some ankle protection and I have used my scarpas before and they have vibram soles and they were not slippery.

Just make sure you do up your laces properly! :shock:

14. Just be sure to tuck your strides into them, for the overall wally effect :LOL:

15. I have worn Rossi Mulga hiking boots for years and they did protect pretty well in a 120kph+ off several years ago, fairly heavy duty leather and stitching sees them last reasonably well too.

[​IMG]

16. well thats a pretty good testament i would think ;-)

what about these? sure not hiking boots, but seem to have a good hiking like sole. i seen them in person, not bad looking, but rjays

http://www.rjays.com.au/home/products/boots-terrain-boots.html

17. there is no such thing as a dual purpose hiking/motorcycle boot...there are plenty of hiking boots that are just as good as the cheap junk "motorcycle" boots sold in many motorcycle stores...there is no hiking boot that compares to a propper riding boot...nor is there any propper riding boot that you could comfortably go for a walk in
    furtheremore, if you break your ankles, they are very difficult to repair and often just fused in place...therefore no more crisp gear changes for you.
    you can come of a motorcycle at 50 km/hr and still smash your shankbone into a half a dozen pieces...how bad the breaks and how long it will take to repair, and how much flexiblity you will retain in your ankle depends on how good the riding boot
    ok now, sex?

18. cum again :p

good points. it is a risk versus gain thing. will give it some more serious thought. perhaps a bigger back pack to chuck my riding boots in. but honestly i like to hike lite.

19. So you won't be carrying your helmet, jacket, gloves & pants. Leave your boots with them? Get a top box or something else you can lock to your bike.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=50

20. I'm following no body else's lead. I believe that if you want to protect your feet (and ankles - more importantly) whist motorcycling then you're going to need some decent boots. It's kind of irrelevant what speed you're doing. 200kg of bike and gear tumbling onto your ankle is going to screw it. So if you want protection then you are pretty much going to add weight to your boots, why would you want to hike with heavy boots? Isn't the saying for hiking/walking; 1kg on the feet is 10kg in the pack.

So, why not get some boots for riding - they don't need to be A* SMX's or anything amazing. Then get a pair of boots/shoes for hiking, lighter weight but with thicker/grippier soles.

Otherwise you can get one pair of boots and compromise both activities?