Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Boot sizes

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Zdster, Dec 20, 2007.

1. I have found a used set of boots (that are practically new) but are one or two sizes to big. They wont slip off easily, but they are not particularly tight around the top of the foot/toes.

My question is, would it matter if I just put an innersole in them? Will it affect them in an accident?
  2. Only you know how well they fit.

There are some issues that spring to mind:

1. might come off in a crash

2. due to having been worn by someone else might be moulded to
    the shape of their foot through use. This could stretch or squeeze
    the bones in your feet uncomfortably and even cause injury...
    especially if you walk a long way in them or carry a heavy load.

3. Might have nasty bugs like tinea/athletes foot in them.

4. Might stink. :grin:
  3. If you don't mind the opinion of another n00b, I'd have to say that getting a pair of boots that could be a couple of sizes too big kind of defeats the purpose of having them.

But I don't think there is anything gentle about having an off even at moderate speeds :? . If you're boots are going to get pulled at then it will probably be hard, and if there's the slightest chance they could come off then they probably will. And once they're off, you may as well have been riding in thongs.

Never mind that even if they stay on, your feet will roll around in them if they're too big. Then they can still get plenty damaged, as the boot isn't nice and snug to prevent them moving in ways they're not meant to :grin:

Get boots that fit, even if they're second hand :cool: