Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Books via Amazon

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Fuzzy, Aug 1, 2007.

1. I often see books on Amazon that I'd love to order, but something has always held me back... fear of the unknown, maybe :wink:

Anyways, is ordering through Amazon worth it and easy peasy or is it fraught with hassles? Apart from the fact that I'll probably spend WAY too much money

And for any Amazonites out there, what's the best (and safest) way to pay for the goods?

Thanks for any advice :)
  2. I've bought books off Amazon before. They arrived within 3 weeks, freight was cheap, the books were in perfect condition and exactly what I ordered.

Once you've got an account, thingo with them - it's super easy.
    You just need an e-mail address and a credit card.

That reminds me, I should order some more books, while our dollar is kicking arse :)
  3. Got many books off amazon, no problems and they were brand new and very cheap.
  4. Once you look at the shipping, it realy isn't much worth buying from amazon unless you can't get the books elsware (Or can't be bothered looking)

So I have bought 2 out of print books from the amazon market place (Any geeks out there "The Coockoos Egg' by cliford stole is a fantastic read and any history buffs "The great Arab Conguests" by John baggot glub is fantastic) and i also just recently bought the pair of "Twist of the Wrists" books along with the soft art of Sports bike riding (Can't remember the exact tittle) never had any issues with Amazon.
  5. Saw some claimed financial guru on TV saying he reckons that it'll reach 90c by the end of the year. Good news for our US purchases all round.
  6. probably been buying $100 or so of books a month from Amazon/ebay.

After 5 or so years - yet to get stiffed.

Only issue I ever had was a book that was out of print, and remained so for 2 years before i cancelled it.

Most books get here in less that 2 weeks.

But their reviews suck, unless most americans are really that dumb!
  7. Maybe if you're buying a single book. Otherwise it usually works out to be significantly cheaper.
  8. I've bought a number of books I couldn't obtain locally off Amazon, always been dead easy to do so.

And less risk than Ebay (as an example).
  9. I usually save up a few books I need to get (just leave them in the shopping cart...) until I have a good sized order, usually 4-6 books. shipping is cheaper that way- and with the aussie dollare being so good at the moment you can't beat it.

eg: current order is 6 books with rec retail price of about $420.
    from amazon it'll cost me $210-$220 depending on currency conversion variables.

even with the borders vouchers you can't do that well!
  10. I got 4 books from Amazon. They were on average $15USD, and the same books in Australia were sell for around $55AUD. With shipping which was not much I still saved lots of money.
  11. had absolutely no problem with em at all. get a special low limit credit card.....i've been buying for years.....
  12. Thanks, guys :)

I appreciate all the helpful advice... Amazon, here I come. Woo hoo :grin:
  13. I've been buying books from amazon for a few years (study and interest sake) without any problems what so ever,
    After you're registed its easy peasy.
  14. I've been buying from Amazon for years, I've found them cheaper than any local book store (even including shipping cost), most of the type of books I buy are not even available in Australia thats probably why though :p

I usually buy 2 at a time, as shipping is the same for 1 or 2.

The books I buy are usually in the range $30-$100 per book
  15. I love Amazon, and I order from there regularly.

At Christmas time last year, my order was about 2 months late. I contacted Amazon because I thought the order got lost in the mail, and they promptly posted the same order again.
    I got the replacement order a week or so later, but about two weeks after the replacement came, the original order turned up on my doorstep.

I emailed Amazon, wanting to return it and do the right thing, but they told me to keep it because the cost of shipping and processing the order didn't make it worthwhile to them.
    So now I have a back up copy of my order, still sealed and in orignal packaging :cool:
  16. I have bought books from Amazon twice. The last time was a real bargain. I bought the Microsoft MCSE 2003 self-training kit kit (that's a Windows administrator training package for the luddites). Here I would have paid A$325 off the shelf. From Amazon, including the delivery cost, and a three week wait, I paid a grand total of A$172!!! Of course IT books have expensive here for years, though the recent value of the dollar has helped bring prices on some of them down.

IMHO, if you're prepared to wait a few week, Amazon is well worth it.