Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Booked for my first track day, 17th June Broadford VIC

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by nightgash, May 26, 2007.

1. Hello everyone I was just wondering if any other netriders are going to be attending the Champions Ride Day at Broadford on the 17th June?

It has taken me awhile to save to get all the correct gear to go to a ride day and finally I have booked in. I am going to be riding my FZR250 which will most probably put me in the slow group.

Has anyone else been to a Champions Ride Day at Broadford or elsewhere and how did it go? Fingers crossed for a dry track

2. Broadford dries super quick. One day when i was there, it was pouring in the morn, 1/2hrs later the track is dry. Prob cause its pretty windy, watch the top straight, u can get blown around abit up there.
  3. I may be there but not 100% sure yet. If not then enjoy but take it easy and remember that the 1st session in the morning, the 1st after lunch and the last session are all bad ones as they are when most people crash.

Go at your own pace and keep it upright. Getting to the end of the day with a straight bike is an achievement in itself.

Chris :grin:
  4. Thanks for the advice. I hope the weather is good, but if it rains it will still be a good experience.

I just got a PM from ABVC and he said he is going to be there. :grin:

I will be probably be put in the slow group as I'm on a 250 so no undertaking. It will be hard to pass if there are more powerful bikes on the straight and I am going quicker around the corner. Have to go around the outside!
  5. You will have a ball.

The day will start quite early, if you can get there by 8am do so, you can grab a garage of your choice, get signed in and scrutineered before most people arrive. It will allow you to settle your nerves.

The Champions crew are lovely. It's a much smaller operation than Phillip Island Ride Days, but the atmosphere is just as good if not better.

Slow group is a good way to start out. The overtaking is restricted to outside of corners and is tightly controlled and marshalled. You get about 10-15 laps a session and equates to about 20mins of track time. You WILL be stuffed by the end of the day. BTW, slow group goes out last. So expect to be on track by 9:40

There is a food van there from about 11am (it is there most days). However they serve mainly fried food and fizzy drinks. If you can, take fruit, some sandwiches or other healthy options. Fried food tends to sit in your stomach after lunch and consume sugars whilst it digests. Not the best for a track day.

Hydration, even on a cool day will be a problem. Remember to hydrate well the day or so before, you can't catch up on the day.

Broadford is a small track, fuel may or may not be a problem for you. However they do take a break for lunch and you can use this to ride into Broadford and get fuel. Last time I was there they did not have fuel to sell. However other might be able to help.

If you can easily remove mirrors and indicators, do so. It will save on those stupid (but expensive) repairs if something bad happens. Even a little off can end up costing dollars if they are on. Removing the mirrors means you won't have to tape them (which you should do to avoid using them). Tape up the speedo too. It will distract you and isn't important.

Tyre pressures will generally need to be a little lower for the track. It is largely temperature dependant, but most seem to settle on 30psi as a default track setting. There are heaps of friendly people there as well as the track organisers who will jump at the chance of helping you with advice.

Lastly, remember to take lots of fun replenishments with you. You are going to have so much of it, you might need to sit down and compose yourself after each session! Track days are just the best way to spend a day, regardless of what group you are in or what bike you ride. On that, it's all about fun and no matter how fast you think you are, there is going to be someone else there quicker than you, so ride to your own abilities, smile a lot and laugh even more.
  6. Gashman... sometimes i think the slow group is more dangerous than the medium due to more people not really knowing what they are doing. Last time i was there someone was cut off on the main straight and ran along the wall which made for a rathy nasty accident :eek:
    Just be careful with the overtaking around the outside though as a lot of new riders feel the need to use all the track (even though they don't need to) and go all the way to the outside before going through the corner. SO if your about to go around them under brakes they can almost put you on the dirt.
    Definitely start off in the slow group as you will get shown the lines etc etc and some tips from the organisers but if you find in the 3rd/4th session that you are constantly faster and over taking quite a lot of people then move up to the medium group. The riders have more idea and will give you fair room as long as your being predictable on the bike and not darting about everywhere. Just remember it is dangerous and being predictable is a good thing for people coming up behind you.

If you get caught behind a lot of riders and its disrupting your flow and enjoyment do a "ride through" into the pits and back to the start of the circuit and pick a gap where you can play a bit. Much safer than trying to get past people and chancing something going wrong.
    You will love it so prepare to become addicted! :twisted:
  7. Thanks zeeowh and cejay for your long posts. Very informative.

How many accidents are there in a day? Is it mainly due to overtaking maneuvers gone wrong or just people getting the bike out of shape and falling off?

It seems like a nice tight track. I went there for the interclub race meeting and enjoyed watching them race.

I guess the reason why I decided to go to the track was to push myself, the bike and its tires more than I would dare on public roads. I have pushed myself on public roads but looking back on it, if there was gravel on the road or I got something really wrong the consequences would have been dire. I don't plan to crash but I do plan to push myself.

I am mainly looking to practice on my body positioning, throttle control and cornering. My goal is to be as smooth as possible.
  8. Accidents do happen, but generally they are minor and result more in damaged pride and ego than anything else. The one that zeeowh referred to needed an ambulance, this was for the concussion.

A track is a good place to push yourself, but remember the speeds are higher too. Champions offer some tuition for a small fee, I don't know how good it is and if it is always available. Give them a call for more details. Certainly, if you want to practice those things it'd be good to get professional feedback and tips.

I'd stay in the slow group until you feel comfortable. It's likely you won't be passed by anyone and you can ride your own pace. If you run in too higher a group there's always the chance you might keep on getting passed and you start to think about them and not you. As soon as you feel comfortable, change. At the last track day I was running medium as it was the 1st time on the Tuono. I'd normally run in the Fast group. The problem I found was that there was too wide a range of abilities. Some people were parking in the corners and gassing the straights which was frustrating for me as I couldn't find a way round unless I rode Tony Elias style. However, if you run in the Fast group you tend to ride with the club racers with very well sorted bikes. The difference is that they go past so quickly you hardly see them and they are gone in a flash. To be safe you must run consistent lines though, otherwise you're nothing more than a mobile chicane.

The single most important thing you must remember is that this is all about having fun :) And as soon as you get home you'll be searching through all your statements trying to work out when you can go again!!
  9. HAHA Tony Elias style! I'll see what happens. Maybe myself or the bike won't be up to the task of going into the medium group. I think I have the skills to go fast but maybe I'm just overconfident. The track tuition looks great but I will have to do it next time as I can't afford to do both as it adds like $135 onto the price.

There is a lot of elevation changes but what about the camber? Any negative camber corners at Broadford? Do you get a chance to walk the track early before everything starts?

10. No walking of the track.

In the slow group, your 1st two laps are behind a marshall.

T1 is a positive camber right hander. The back straight has a small kink in it, a few bumps. The corner on the back straight, known as crash corner is probably the hardest. A slower in equals a more controlled exit. It's a blind, off camber right hander with a run into a left and right, with a small straight into another right hander. This brings you into a left hander onto the front straight.

Nothing is too bad, but take the time to learn the circuit and you will have fun. Relax and enjoy!
  11. No wonder its called crash corner, with a negative camber blind corner after the longest straight section. I pretty much saw the whole track when viewing the interclub race except this corner. Thanks for the heads up, I will be cautious of this one!

I think Flux posted some really good google earth pics of different race tracks and there was a picture of broadford reacetrack, it would be a lot better to study the layout compared to the hand drawn image on the Motorcycling Victoria website.

12. personally, i rekon the only group that is safe is A grade. The rest of the groups their are people riding under or over their abilities which causes for pains in the ass... especially on the smaller bikes.

1st off, make sure u have good tyres on ur bike.IF you have something like arrowmaxes no doubt they will slip alot quicker than a good tyre.

If your look for lap times dont worry about how quick u go through crash corner, worry more about how u come out of it. The S after it is where alot of time can be made up. Try to go through this as straight as possible. And keep the power on untill u pass through the last left part of it then hard on the brakes. Broady is a challenging track but you learn alot from it. So does the right hand side of ur tyre.

If you are finding you are consistently getting over taken on the straights by bigger bikes t heir are 2 things u can do. Move up a group and hope they are faster than u. Or 2 (most people wont approve) but when u are takin them on the outside cut them off over the top. Most people dont wanna crash their bikes in C grade and after u have done this they wont be passing u again on the straight.

Most of all have fun. Its your first trackday so just go with the flow. You will have a ball...

Remember these things,

Snakes (allens)
    a chair
    if its gonna be hot a fan
    note pad and pen if u wanna write down stuff about ur riding.
    and plenty of sleep!

GOood luck son!
  14. Thanks for your help. I do unfortunately have arrowmax 501 GT's on my FZR. They look new with a lot of tread left. I guess for small bikes with skinny tires the choices are limited in what I can get. I have only had the bike for a few months so when these wear out I will most likely get the stickiest on the market.

I have been reading up a lot on performance riding techniques. I bought 4 books off amazon and they have been great. Going to get my leather pants tomorrow which will be good! Can't wait for the 17th!!
  15. I can't stress enough the importance of getting to know the track before pushing yourself and the bike.

I've seen dozens of riders run off the circuit on their very first lap out. Aside from cold tyres (if not using tyre warmers) some riders just can't help themselves when they see no speed limits...

It's an awful feeling to have crashed in the first session and sit on the sidelines for the rest of the day, knowing that perhaps you could have had a little more patience and still be out riding.

If you get to know the track, then it wont matter what camber/radius/grip level each corner has as it won't be a surprise.
  16. arrowmaxes always have alot of tread left. They are hard as and when they slip, they slip without warning... Their are heaps better options for your bike.

gpr70's are what most people prefer for hard riding. Their is a stickier type, i think its rensports??

I come from www.cbr250.com forum and the amount of n00bs that crash on trackdays with arrowmaxes is very very very high. If you do anything i would highly recommend getting rid of the arrowmaxes. They are BAD
  17. Rennsports are a little stickier, but GPR70's are easier to find and more than adequate for a 250!

I agree with Biggy, arrowmaxes will be okay to go out on, but the margin for errors is non existent compared to sticky tyres.

If you're planning on exploring the bike's abilities, then those tyres will be limiting you big time. It makes far more sense to fit sticky rubber.
  18. yea, if u are planning on doing this more than once... definately get better tyres. IT makes a world of difference!
  19. rennsports are shit when there is a any bit of mosture or rain on track, but are awsome on a dry track.

GPR70sp now GPRa10 are really good, very nice rubber, a step up from the 70's. Very stick, good feel especially at some nice angles. I highly recommend them, and they are not overly costly too, thats an extra bonus.

Get some new tyres, cheap insurance.
  20. How much are these better tires when the arrowmax tires start at $90+? If I buy some I think they can do tire changes on the day?