Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Book recommendation : Tuesdays with Morrie

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by I Adore Vic, May 15, 2008.

1. Hey all. Was weeding at the library yesterday and came across a rather well used copy of 'Tuesdays with Morrie' by Mitch Albom.

The title sounded familiar, but I knew nothing about the book and really don't have time to read much anymore, plus I had stuff all room left in my ventura bag (scored a few other old/mangled books in the clean up) but decided to squeeze it in with the others anyway.

Robsalvv once asked me:

I believe this book was the universe's response to my call for guidance/help. I knew nothing about this book but it sat on the weeding table staring at me - telling me to take it.

Came home and emptied my bag - put all the books on the bench and wondered which one I should try out first, and there it was again, sitting on the bench staring at me to read it....so I started reading it last night. From the first page I knew it was something special. That it was a book I was meant to read...at that moment...at this time.

I read 43 pages last night and in those 43 pages I started to remember things. It reminded me of the 'big picture'. I used to be able to see the 'big picture' but lately it's become lost in all the work and study and bills. I mourned that loss but couldn't get it back...until last night and that book.

Anyway, here's a bit of what it's all about (taken from Albom's website):

And here's some of what's been said about it:

If you haven't already read it, I recommend you do. A beautiful book about life and living.... :)

And it sure is nice to know that I've not been forgotten by the universe. :wink: :)

2. Sounds interesting...

I wouldn't mind reading "Tuesdays with Maurie (Field)" as well...

"There's this old mongrel, see..." :LOL:

We miss ya Maurie, you and yer great australian joke!
  3. yeah I have read this book, and found it quite an interesting read. I picked it up because someone said it was a good book
  4. "Five People You Meet in Heaven" is by the same author, and it's really quite good as well.
  5. I've heard of it, and heard good things about it, and your recommendation has encouraged me to seek it out.

(and now I'll be a buzzkill and have a little grammar tanty: 'heart rending' means that it tears your heart to read. 'heart rendering' means that it boils down your heart to obtain oil. which do you think they *meant* to say? ;))
  6. How could you of all people be forgotten, Rosie :grin:

as long as you have food in your tummy and love in your heart ( and some fuel in the VTR), the rest just seems to fall into place :wink:
  7. Haven't read this yet Rosie, but read 'For One More Day' by Mitch also, a couple of months ago.

Very good read also.

Think I may have to get a hold of this one too :)
  8. If you're going to be pedantic, first you need to be right.