Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Book - Don't Tell Mum........

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MelbourneMick, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I read this book a while ago now and thought I would share it. It is pretty easy read but funny and interesting all at the same time.

"Don't Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs, She Thinks I Am A Piano Player IN A Whorehouse" - By Paul Carter.

Here is what it is about.
    (taken from www.paulcarter.net.au)

Paul Carter has been shot at, hijacked and held hostage.

He's almost died of dysentery in Asia and toothache in Russia, watched a Texan lose his mind in the jungles of Asia, lost a lot of money backing a mouse against a scorpian in a fight to the death, and been served cocktails by an orang-utan on a ocean frieghter. And that's just his day job.

Taking postings in some of the world's wildest and most remote regions, not to mention some of the roughest oil rigs on the planet, Paul has worked, gotten into trouble and been given serious talkings to in locations as far-flung as the North Sea, Middle East, Borneo and Tunisia, as exotic as Sumatra, Vietnam and Thailand, and as flat out dangerous as Columbia, Nigeria and Russia, with some of the maddest, baddest and strangest people you could ever hope not to meet.

Strap yourself in for an exhilarating, crazed, sometimes terrifying, usually bloody funny ride through one man's adventures in the oil trade.

When not getting into trouble on the rigs Paul lives a quiet life in Sydney
  2. Yep. His books are a good read.
  3. Mick, while you're at it, pick up "Is that thing a Diesel?", he makes the first trip around australia on a two wheeled vehicle running on old cooking oil.
  4. I only recently just put 2 and 2 together (and didn't get 5 !) and realised it is the same bloke.
    I have read all his other book too "This is not a drill"

thanks for the info though :+)
  5. bought this book on kindle yesterday, finished it already. Good read.
  6. Great books, can't recommend them enough.
    Does anyone know when his land speed record for a bio-desiel motorcycle is being attempted?
  7. Both books came home for me today. Thanks for the recommends and the offers to loan me a copy.
    Reckon I'll be done by the end of the weekend...
  8. nice one NK
    Be keen to hear what you think of them
  9. Just this minute finished "Don't tell mum..."

OK so Carter is no Orwell, and the whole thing reads like a bad News Ltd story. Usually that would kill a book for me, but in this case it's easy to forgive.
    Because for the first time in years I actually cried from laughter, and not just once. It seems every little story had me laughing out loud, including this morning in the doctor's waiting room before my appointment...
    Everything from crazy flying masturbating monkeys, to low-speed police chases in a Ural sidecar outfit, to bars completely staffed by midgets, had me remembering my own adventures as a young bloke and wishing for more.
    Last night I even wondered if it was too late to get on the rigs.

8/10 - Thoroughly recommended...
  10. I still laugh trying to tell [people about this section of the book is worth the price of admission
  11. I've read "Don't tell my mum...." and "Is that thing diesel?". LOVE them both.

I totally agree NK. I had actual tears at times.