Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bonding/Gluing metal to the tank

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Marick, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Just wondering if anyone can offer some insight or advice into bonding metal to the fuel tank?

Im having the fuel tank on my Monster resprayed and a mate of mine has offered to redo the Ducati lettering on the side in titanium. Naturally while I love the idea Im preplexed as how to bind the letters to the tank.

Do I glue the letters down prior to applying the clearcoat, which will kind of lose the value of having the letters cut in titianium, or do I glue them over the top of the clearcoat once the tank is fully sprayed?

Considered using an adhesive tape to stick the down, but Im concerned about fuel eating away at the adhesive.

Cheers, Mark

2. Badges on a lot of cars are kept on with double sided tape, buy a roll so if it needs to be redone because of the fuel you'll be prepared!
    It would be easier come sale time to put standard decals on too...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yep. Double-sided tape in this application is really strong. You can get an auto-grade that has a 'padded' appearance. Whack it on your emblems, the contour it with a knife to get maximum coverage. How much petrol do you spill on the outside of your tank?:-O:-O

ian