Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bonang hwy

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by VFR800M, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Hi folks I am off to island next week and was thinking of going down the Bonang hWy weather permitting. Has anyone been down the road recently in last 12 mths , how much dirt what condition the Vfr prefers the black stuff but isn't too bad on good dirt. Cheers M

2. There's about 20km of dirt split into a couple of sections. Pretty compact - not too bad just take it easy. Once you're past this the road is simply awesome.

I've done it in perfect sunny conditions as well as apocalyptic rain. Great both times.

3. Thank you I was just looking at some ytube footage & dirt looks ok aside it snowing we will give a go can't be any worse than going over Mt hotham a few years ago in snow & ice . Cheers m

4. Don't forget your puncture kit :) (I had one there a while back - the dirt section)

5. I came through in June, In a word, GROUSE,

6. I went through in August. Fantastic, fantastic road. The dirt bit is pretty easy. Going northbound, the second lot of dirt was much looser and a little trickier.

The Imperial Hotel in Bombala is worth staying at.

7. How does it compare to our little excursions?
    I'll be going down it next week, but I'll bet it's nothing compared to "the gravelly corner of death"...

8. Ultimately I would consider the Oxley a 'better road' - but the beauty of the Bonang is the pure length of the twisties. It just goes on and on. And on.

Plus generally when you do it you are actually 'going somewhere' if that makes sense. It is not a Sunday morning loop - you are doing serious k's through the VIC countryside with a destination and a cold beer at the end of it.

I love it.

9. 115 Kilometres of pure unadulterated fun, More so, if its a nice sunny day,

10. Nah, I was more talking about our little excursions "off the grid" and onto the dirt :D

11. Ha ha - oh right. Yeah it's up there with the best of them. But at least you know it's coming...